You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-11-2015 13:28:28  #501

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

23-11-2015 13:29:05  #502

Maybe not identical, but certainly reminiscent, to me.

23-11-2015 13:38:40  #503

Congrats, John. Enjoy the Optima, you'll always be able to find another SM4 later on if you still want one.

@Valiant: It looks to be a lighter shade of the brown used on my Elite 2. You could have quite the sub-collection if you wanted a sample of every colour variant.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-11-2015 18:54:35  #504

Uwe wrote:

Repartee wrote:

Could it have been a safety thing? "New break-away return lever prevents impalement in office falls!"?...

Oddly enough, there was a sharp decline in office impalements around the time that the Empress was introduced...  

Here is what Royal had to say about this return lever...

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

23-11-2015 19:59:13  #505

"Notice also the minimum reflectance - this lever is easy on the eyes."

So, it won't cause temporary blindness the way chromed/plated parts on typewriters are known to often do? LOL, I think the writer of that manual was one heck of a spin-doctor!

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

24-11-2015 11:44:16  #506

Valiant wrote:

I think the writer of that manual was one heck of a spin-doctor!

I fully agree. That claptrap was only written to distract buyers from the reality of a cost cutting measure. I suppose they couldn't have written: "Notice that we're now using plastic instead of a chrome plated, heavy-duty metal lever. This cost saving measure helps to keep our machines competitively priced."

Actually, I'm even more surprised that they refer to it as a "return lever" when the more standard nomenclature is line space lever. I've never liked return lever because it implies it's solidly fixed and the only thing it does is return the carriage to the left margin stop. In reality you can use a line space lever without moving the carriage at all.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-11-2015 21:58:47  #507

Forgot to add these, but on Friday my mother went to an estate sale and scored these two typewriters:

She went there because of the Smith-Corona Clipper and got it for $40. Which isn't bad because it's in good shape and only needs to be cleaned. However, the Remington KMC is the real win here. Because it looked really bad, it was listed for "$5, AS IS." But my mother being my mother, somehow got it for free. So I've got my work cut out for me over Thanksgiving. (I was going to eventually sell the Clipper, but I fell in love with it so soon, I can't stop using it! Does anyone else feel the same way?)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

24-11-2015 22:45:48  #508

Of course I can't touch your clipper, but I can just about fall in love with the beautiful 1930's image of the flying boat! Those planes suggest romance and adventure in tropical places.

As to falling in love and not wanting to part with something, I've noticed my reaction to objects possessed for something beyond mere utility is bipolar - either I love it and want to keep it, or else if I don't love it <don't let anybody here hear me write such a blasphemy> and I am really tempted to euthanize it. I know, it's an evil thought! But two machines which fall in the latter category are a grey Remington portable with an uncushioned keyboard feel and a feed roller in the cross section of a "D", and an East German machine which suggests what happens when people who remember how to build a good quality product must produce in a poor communist country. They tried their hardest. Actually they almost succeeded, since the machine still works decently except for a stripped plastic gear in one of the spool assemblies. Yes, plastic.

Somebody talk me down! I may hurt them.

24-11-2015 22:59:17  #509

You shouldn't blame the communists for plastic parts. Royal, just to name one decadent capitalist manufacturer, used plastic ribbon advance gears too. There was a lot of that going around during the '60s. If you want to blame anyone, blame the Japanese: they were the ones who started the entire budget-built typewriter era. Or, if you like South Park, just blame Canada.

How about pulling the veil of secrecy off of these two machines and tell us which models you're talking about?

25-11-2015 00:17:52  #510

Uwe wrote:

...How about pulling the veil of secrecy off of these two machines and tell us which models you're talking about?

I will take the lazy way right now and post links to photo... wait... am I allowed to "post" photos I don't own?

It is technically feasible at least.

These are similar models, though of course clean and dressed in their Sunday finest while the two in my possession are a little down at the heels. I do like the looks of the Remington, I must admit, and it has a sharp elite typeface. I could just wish a previous owner had read the advice in the same Royal manual which I posted part of earlier:

"At the end of each day it is a good practice to pull the Paper Release Lever forward so that the rubber feed rolls do not tend to develop flat surfaces"

Sure, if you are going to use the typewriter every day this will not be an issue, but what if you close up the machine at the end of the day and nobody comes back for thirty years! You get a D-shaped roller. Nobody anticipates the thirty year weekend. It just happens.

Board footera