You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-12-2015 10:15:50  #1

How do I take off key rings?

I am going to be replacing one or two key rings on my Underwood 5, but I have never taken them off before. I see the tabs on the bottom, so do I just bend them out? Or am I supposed to do something else?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

06-12-2015 11:02:19  #2

Re: How do I take off key rings?

That's what I did, and then I just lift them off But sometimes it resists. So be careful.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

06-12-2015 11:52:16  #3

I will. Thanks for the help.

When I receive my nickel plating kit tomorrow, I am going to expirmement on a few things first, and then try the key ring.

Back from a long break.

07-12-2015 05:56:37  #4

TypewriterGuy wrote:

...When I receive my nickel plating kit tomorrow, I am going to expirmement on a few things first, and then try the key ring.

My most recent typewriter-in-need-of-repair has a very dull looking bell in its open Underwood frame. "Wouldn't it be nice if that were a shiny nickel plated bell", I thought? Or wouldn't it be nice if I used my can of gold-tone spray paint to produce a tacky yet ironic look? :-)

What am I thinking!? Function through surface age has its own beauty of strength and endurance! But let us know how your experiments work out in case I change my mind. ;)

Is this an electroplating process or purely chemical?

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

07-12-2015 06:34:58  #5

Electroplating. Its not professional, so I can't do a part subject to wear, like the return lever, but the bell doesntget wear, so it would be fine. So far, I tracked it, and its a few hours away. :D

Back from a long break.

Board footera