You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-11-2015 13:29:21  #11

Re: Adler Tippa S (1973?) with

Thanks! I did have the case off, and had some access to the margin bell, but it seemed pretty tight to work on it. I can ring the bell with my finger, but can't really fiddle with the mechanisms. The bell assembly is located on the underside of the carriage though, so I think removal of the carriage would make it easy.

17-11-2015 14:16:49  #12

I can almost guarantee that if you use a cotton swab saturated with mineral spirits that it will fix your bell. The hammer movement of most bell mechanism is easily fouled by a little dirt. Cleaning all of its components usually restores their operation. And of course you should make sure that the right margin stop is actuating the bell hammer. All of this should be easy enough to do with just the case off the machine. Removing the carriage, if you've never done this before, can be complex procedure. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-11-2015 14:30:45  #13

More developments on my Tippa. I did clean it with a q-tip and spirits, but I found an underlying problem. There was a small cable linkage holding the lever that is tripped by a hook on the carriage. This linkage seemed to be designed to allow the hook enough flex to trip the bell. I tried to tighten it with needle-nose pliers, but the cable snapped when I did so. I was left with two small holes to thread while keeping the moving portion of the hook aligned. It was typewriter surgery, but using a bit of picture hanging wire I put it back together. It rings now, but it's a very dull, muffled ding. It seems like the hammer stop needs to be adjusted--and that will require more dismantling to get at the mechanism, I think.

I'm hoping these addresses will take you to photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/1gnS4JgpkbWCxsKq6
https://goo.gl/photos/tnHHrAMZZSt3sa2h7
https://goo.gl/photos/GNNWRTCjfK5EaVUaA

13-12-2015 06:49:54  #14

ID/NE wrote:

It seems like the hammer stop needs to be adjusted--and that will require more dismantling to get at the mechanism, I think.

Welcome to the forum, from another newbie!

I have a feeling you're right about the hook. Perhaps the picture hanging wire doesn't hold enough tension to make the hammer trip the bell properly. I've taken a look at my Adler Tippa S, and it appears the same as your photos.

Feel free to ask me for comparison photos once you've dismantled the mechanism (my Tippa S's bell is loud and clear, so I may be able to help), although you'll need to give me directions for dismantling the panel underneath so I can photograph it.

Nevertheless, congratulations on your accidental Adler! Sadly mine doesn't get as much use as it should. It was an inheritance from my late grandfather, so I consider it more of sentimental value than of functional purpose.

13-12-2015 06:56:32  #15

My apologies, I didn't read the thread properly. I thought you were referring to a Tippa S. Please disregard my comment.

14-12-2015 12:41:26  #16

Thanks Tojeem. I have no idea how different our portables are. They sound fairly similar. I haven't made any progress on the bell, which is still muted. So instead, I decided to do something about the cracked spacebar. I got to work and shaped myself a new one. I now have the classiest solid walnut spacebar in town.
https://goo.gl/photos/pPqC7H8fbdks9VdbA

14-12-2015 15:07:35  #17

Well, that's interesting! Nice job. I'll have to try the same thing some day, but I'd be more inclined to use teak given that it seemed to be all the rage for furniture around the time your Tippa was being produced.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera