You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-6-2015 02:41:26  #1

Remington Serial Number

Although I didn't ever set out to aquire antique typewriters, I now have three (Caligraph 3, Oliver 3, Remington 7.)  So I guess I'm well on my way to becoming a typewriter collector.  

I'm having difficulty dating the Remington Standard No. 7, which I purchased just a few days ago.  Since this model was produced fron 1896 to 1914, I'd like to determine the exact year of manufacture using the serial number.  However, there does not seem to be a number which should be (I believe) on the top plate, right rear side, on a raised pad.  On this machine the pad is absolutely blank.  I've used a strong magnifying glass as an aid, but the number is simply not there.  

Anyone have an explanation for this?  Or, am I looking in the wrong location for the serial number?

Thanks!

11-6-2015 05:06:33  #2

Re: Remington Serial Number

Well, I do not have a 7, but I have two #10s, and the serial number is towards the back more, on the stand holding the carriage up, on a plate. Rear right side. Not on the carriage, but behind it. If its not there, keep moving the carriage around, and try to find it.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

11-6-2015 13:51:44  #3

8T9MustangGT wrote:

there does not seem to be a number which should be (I believe) on the top plate, right rear side, on a raised pad.  On this machine the pad is absolutely blank.

It's not the first time that I've read about serial numbers missing from where they should have been stamped. Any sign that the serial number plate was filed down at some point? I can't verify the exact location for your serial number (I generally don't buy machines made before the '20s), but based on your description that's exactly where it's located on my 1920 Model 10.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-6-2015 16:53:18  #4

Thanks for the replies.  I've been over the machine again and still find no trace of a serial number.  The pad where it should be does not appear to have been filed down.  I'm now busy cleaning the typewriter and it's looking decent enough to display, but of course it has a fair bit of patina (I prefer patina over a repaint).

24-12-2015 12:23:15  #5

Could you show us a picture? Certain features can help give you a closer approximate date.

Board footera