You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-8-2013 20:55:55  #1

Platen Core Reference Chart

When this handout was originally distributed (July 1967), used typewriter platens were a hot commodity. It was a common practice back then to sell resurfaced platens, but of course that meant suppliers needed a supply of old platen cores to resurface. It's interesting to see which platen cores were in greatest demand back in the '60s, and to compare the differences in the designs of these various platens.

Equally intriguing is that I've never heard of some of the brands listed; it's posible that some of those manufacturers didn't produce typewriters, but other machines such as adding machines that also used platens.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-8-2013 19:26:23  #2

Re: Platen Core Reference Chart

WOW! This is so great. I have a box of platens that have been recovered by Ames, but I didn't know what they fit. This has helped me identify them. Thanks so much!

Clark

18-8-2013 15:21:44  #3

Spare parts for you, or do you plan to list them in the Buy & Sell sub-forum?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-8-2013 10:53:05  #4

I intend to list and sell them when I have the time. There are platens for a Royal Portable Variable, Smith Corona New Style and a Smith Corona Silent O.S. I also have a power roll for an IBM model C-D.

Clark

22-8-2013 16:43:52  #5

Page Four of the list are all adding or accounting machines, that's why the names are not familiar to you.  Hope this helps !

Board footera