You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-1-2016 20:20:23  #11

Re: Composition of your typewriter collection

Also, I really enjoy fiddling with them and learning how they work. I like learning how to clean and do what repairs I can figure out. Some repairs are beyond me, but I enjoy learning what I can.

05-1-2016 20:27:37  #12

It's kind of hard to believe anyone with 20 or so typewriters uses them all... As I said I was not passing any judgement and if someone wants to have a collection that's entirely their prerogative . In any case I enjoy the challenge of my early underwood, though from what I can see it has all of the features of a newer machine if not the ease. If I wanted that I'd go for an nice IBM Selectric III or just say F'it and use my computer, after all it is far and beyond easier to use and more efficient than any typewriter could hope to be. 

06-1-2016 10:54:30  #13

09Underwood wrote:

It's kind of hard to believe anyone with 20 or so typewriters uses them all... As I said I was not passing any judgement 

I'm sure you're not, but implying you don't believe someone when they explicitly say all their machines get used is liable to be interpreted negatively.

Getting back to the question, for me it's Royals. Not from any kind of design, it just worked out that way. I have more Royal Model Ps (four) than anything else, because they're so irresistibly pretty. I also have two Royal Quiet Deluxes, the second of which I like much better so the first is probably up for giveaway. Also I've been trying to settle on a standard machine, and the first one I came across was a Royal KMM, but when my recently acquired Smith-Corona Super Speed comes back from the shop the battle will be on.

As far as Smith-Coronas/Coronas go, I have a Corona Comet De Luxe, a Smith-Corona Silent-Super, and the aforementioned Super Speed. I had a Sterling but didn't care for it so I gave it away. Also I have another that I keep just for the math symbols, but I admit that I seldom need to type square roots.

My collection is rounded out by 2 Olympias (SM3 and SM7), a Hermes Baby, an Olivetti Lettera 32, and an Underwood-Olivetti Studio 44 that is also at the shop right now.

06-1-2016 16:01:00  #14

Remington Quiet Riter (loaned it out)
Olympia SM2
Olympia SM3
Olympia SM 4 (italic)
Olympia SM 4 (wide carriage, sold it)
Olympia SM 7 (cursive, sold it)
Royal Quiet De Luxe (teal)
Voss De Luxe (cursive)
Smith Corona Silent Super (vertical script)
Smith Corona Sterling (vertical script) 
Olivetti 22 (vertical script)
Olivetti 35
Hermes 3000 (techno)
Hermes 3000 (sold)
Hermes Rocket (script, sold it)

06-1-2016 18:12:57  #15

Jeez I wish I had a Royal P...

Just one....

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

06-1-2016 19:15:14  #16

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Jeez I wish I had a Royal P...

Just one....

You always want what you don't have... 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

06-1-2016 19:33:39  #17

I definitely buy them to use.  I rotate them and always have two on my desk and the rest, out of their cases, in the other room.  if they are in their cases, I find I don't use them as much.  out of sight, out of mind. 

06-1-2016 19:40:27  #18

Exactly Ztyper, the reason for collecting.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

07-1-2016 08:21:39  #19

Being a student with limited storage space and funds, I make it my rule not to own more than one typewriter of the same make at any time, as you can tell from this screenshot of my typewriter table.

I always track repairs and ask sellers where they got their typewriters so I can to include as much information as possible. Hopefully this means that one day, when I'm hundreds of machines the wiser and my memory is failing me, I can still tell a detailed story of my typewriter fancying to posterity, and pass on everything I know about my collection to its beneficiary in my will.

Also, if I'm honest, and I can't remember what I ate for breakfast let alone the history each typewriter. After realising I'd sold my dear Corona 4 for nearly half what I paid for it, I vowed never to make the same mistake again.

07-1-2016 21:46:09  #20

- Olivetti Underwood 378, "Baby Blue"
- Empire Aristocrat, "Eemar"
- Brother De Luxe, "Sister Moonshine"
- Canon Typestar 10-II, "Tiger Tracey" (has since been recycled; should have sold it)

They call me "Hammerhands".

Board footera