You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-9-2013 13:54:27  #1

Draw cord tention

I have a Remington lite writer, 1950`s, portable.   It had run-on letters; I drew out the draw cord tighter from the carriage cord wheel, it worked better.   Stull it  runs-on letters when I type too fast.  How far can I pull out the cord for more tention?   

11-9-2013 16:42:13  #2

Re: Draw cord tention

It's not a matter of an exact number of turns of the spring drum.  The most tension you can safely apply is roughly half a turn less than fully wound to the point of locking up, with the carriage at the extreme right hand side (left margin set to zero on the scale).  However, before you go to that extreme, make sure that the problem isn't dirt or lack of lubrication slowing down the carriage or escapement.

11-9-2013 17:02:48  #3

As thetypewriterman says, just make sure that it isn't something else first. Other things to consider - a dirty, rusty or greasy escapement, and also typing rythm. 

A lot of people - myself included, often go from a computer keyboard to a typewriter and type like they are using similar keyboards. But you can't really do that. I often stuff myself up the most when typing 'and'. The reason for this is the change of hands across the keyboard between the letter A and N. Because and is typed across two hands I often find myself hitting the n key far too soon after the a key, and I subsequently catch the tail of the carriage movement which results in the two letters looking like they have been glued togeather. It isn't pretty. 

This wouldn't be resolved by greater tension on the carriage, but rather adjusting my typing.

11-9-2013 21:41:10  #4

What I'd like to see clarified is what the OP means by "run-on letters." If it's unintentional spaces between letters, then that usually points to an issue with the escapement, not the drawband tension.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-9-2013 18:39:38  #5

Thanks, I`ll try to check the escapement

Board footera