You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-1-2016 15:01:53  #11

Re: Reason of dirty type on Olivetti Lettera 22

beak wrote:

By 'varying line height' do you mean that a double line space has appeared between lines 2 & 3 when it should not have done?

No, I meant that v and (for example) are shifted to the top compared to the other letters, causing a sort of curvy line. But it's probably just me.

Typography lover and book sniffer. I make and enjoy simple things.

17-1-2016 08:11:05  #12

Honestly, that's an infinitesimal difference. The machine is fifty years old. It seems to type really well; you just need to clean up the type heads and ribbon vibrator, etc etc, and it'll be a beauty. I seriously wouldn't risk making it worse by messing with adjustments (which you'd have to figure out what to adjust) for the sake of 0.3mm. 

17-1-2016 08:11:45  #13

(I had to hold a credit card under the line of print even to see the unevenness.)

17-1-2016 08:45:19  #14

KatLondon wrote:

(I had to hold a credit card under the line of print even to see the unevenness.)

I see – this is a new interest for me, I guess I'm still biased by the modern pseudo-perfection attitude. 
Thanks you all for your input. It's been quite valuable.

17-1-2016 08:51:28  #15

The V seems quite acceptable to me, but, if inclined, I might fiddle with the A a little; it's too far to the left as well as a little high.  If you decide to try to cure this, go very slowly; research first and be gentle.

I'm not going to give advice about how to do this, because I don't know enough to be sure of my answer, but patience will bring along someone who will tell you.  Patience is all.

Sincerely,
beak.

17-1-2016 08:59:07  #16

puleddu wrote:

I guess I'm still biased by the modern pseudo-perfection attitude. 

That's the whole joy of these machines! They operate in the physical, mechanical world. Each one has its own tics and peculiarities... 

If you're new to it the very best thing you can do for your machine is to learn how to give it a really good, thorough clean, using something like white spirits, methylated spirit or similar, and cotton buds, and so on. you'll be amazed how many things are cured by getting rid of all the dust, nicotine, old oil, rust, ancient insect shells, and other gunk that can crop up inside a typewriter. Most problems will improve with cleaning, and at the very least, in cleaning it you will get to know your machine much better. Just be careful not to knock any small springs out! (Though, putting them back in is also an education...)

17-1-2016 09:00:35  #17

Thanks beak. I'm certainly not in a hurry. Everything about this new interest represents – for me at least – the opposite of rush. Hence, whatever comes will be appreciated, whenever it comes.

17-1-2016 09:37:49  #18

Some of the machines in my collection will make this smudged ink effect if you're typing with the paper bale released and the paper is bending forward, away from the platen; the top-front edge of the type slugs will then strike the paper before making their full imprint, leaving a smudge mark. Make sure that the rollers on the paper bale are adjusted to actually keep the paper well pressed against the platen; this is especially important if typing on narrower sized sheets.

Cleaning of the type slugs will also help, along with the back side of the paper guide, which can get fouled up with old ink. It's sometimes difficult to reach the back side of the paper guide without removing the platen - which is not that easy to do on the Lettera 22 if you're not well-versed in the mechanics of typewriter disassembly. Alternatively, take a piece of paper towel, apply some isopropyl alcohol and thread it into the platen so it's behind the paper guide, then release the platen tension lever and paper bale, and you should be able to "shoe shine" the paper towel back and forth and up and down behind the paper guide to clean off old ink.

~Joe

Board footera