You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-1-2016 22:34:29  #41

Re: Ch-ch-changes in the Olympia SM9

Seems like I'm the only one who cares about this at the moment , but I can report an update on posts 25 and 26. Indeed some variants of the first version of the SM9 (white keys, teal accents) were made with a lefthand carriage release -- I just got a 1966 SM9 with a wide carriage that has the additional carriage release.  I bought it from the original owner, no case, and a little rust on the lower frame, but overall in nice cosmetic shape. I paid $25, which is more than I wanted to, but an SM9 is a joy forever. The segment needed treating with naphtha to cure some sticky keys, and the backspace key, interestingly, will backspace two spaces if you push it too smartly. Also, the ribbon reverse probably needs some solvent to get it working. But it generally works well. A slight disappointment is that the typeface is the Olympia no. 67 "modern" pica, which is a little bland (and the same as on my two other SM9s).

19-1-2016 00:12:27  #42

Oh, the care is still there. 

I, for one, am just patiently waiting for enough data to come in; when there seems to be enough (in conjunction with sufficient spare time) I will make a start on an illustrated chart of some kind detailing the variations we have found.

Forums (sorry, 'but fora' always seems to toffee-nosed to me) such as this seem to be the ideal way to collect and collate such information, since no single collector is likely to feel that they have all the required examples.

We shall see...

Sincerely,
beak.

19-1-2016 08:37:24  #43

I was kidding, actually -- I just had noticed that I had posted the last three entries (before your response, of course).

Board footera