You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-8-2013 15:44:08  #1

Underwood Golden-Touch Typers

After recently adding another example of an Underwood Golden-Touch to my collection and giving it a thorough going-over, I have to admit that the new typer has left me a little confused.

I was lured by the fact that it was a de luxe (sic) model, and understandably, I expected it to be a more upscale version of the Universal Golden-Touch that I already owned. However, after comparing the typewriters against each other I was surprised to discover that there weren't any significant differences between them.

Just what had Underwood been thinking at the time? It turns out that the so-called de luxe is more of a marketing department’s slight of hand than it is a machine created by a designer’s Midas touch.

Both the 1958 Universal (#C2974565) and the 1959 de luxe (#A3025191) feature Underwood's Quiet Tab tabulator system, a ribbon colour selector, touch control, and the same red arrow margin indicators that point to a nonintuitive scale. Their keyboards and typesets are identical too, and both have the same number of keys.

Near mechanical twins, I assumed that at the very least there would be appreciable differences in their appearance, perhaps a few more chromed parts on the de luxe that were otherwise painted on the Universal. I was wrong. Aside from the obvious colour difference of their cases, a sickly off-white compared to a rather dull cream, the only difference in their trim was in the metallic piping that surrounds the keyboard opening. The de luxe uses a chrome-coloured trim whereas the Universal - given its Golden-Touch moniker – is finished in a more appropriate gold colour.

The other differences between these two typers are even less noticeable. The de luxe comes equipped with an easier-to-load vibrator (it can be opened to make ribbon replacements a less arduous task), and an antenna-like paper rest, a component that I've always argued should have been included on even the most basic of portables.

On a less positive note, these typers are ill-mannered in their performance. The basic operation of each machine does provide adequate feel and a satisfactory typing action, but when it comes down to their ancillary functions, both are a letdown. The tabulators are cantankerous (the tab clear on the de luxe doesn't work at all) and the line space levers are temperamental, which means that the line spacing throughout a document is at best erratic.

You can argue that these items can be easily repaired, and you would be right. They are small issues, ones that I normally wouldn’t even bother to mention if there was only one machine under consideration. However, when two similar models exhibit the same problems, it raises the question of a potential weakness in their original design. I've seen it before with other models in my collection that I have multiple examples of; if one exhibits a particular shortcoming, often the others will suffer from the same problem too, and you know that it's an issue that is inherent with their design.

As silly as it sounds, what I like most about these two typers is their Royal-like top cover release buttons. When you press the big letter U above the keyboard, the top cover will quietly and gracefully swing itself open toward the carriage. It's a simple touch, and not even an original one, and at the risk of sounding simpleminded, I'll confess that I sometimes find myself repeatedly opening and closing the cover just for the sheer fun of it.

Incidentally, those easy-opening covers are a boon for changing ribbons, but little else. Any troubleshooting task that requires you to move the carriage back and forth with the cover open becomes a real pain in the ass, and unlike some other machines with similar covers, the ones on these Underwood models can't be removed without the use of tools.

Overall, I like these Golden-Touch models to type with and find their exterior design pleasing enough to look at, but neither would ever score very high in an objective review. While skimming through online content for information on the de luxe I came across one blogger who gushed endlessly about the virtues of his Golden-Touch, and who also scoffed at suggestions made by others that perhaps it wasn’t as stellar a machine as he believed it to be. His opinion is the result of a common pitfall; if you only own a few typewriters it's very difficult to accurately assess their performance, mostly because you don't have a sufficient reference base to judge them against.

I'll eventually get around to fixing up the nagging problems with these two Underwoods, and maybe give them a repaint too; their marred and chipped cases would certainly benefit from a few coats of a more vibrant paint. These Golden-Touch typers might not be the best machines in my corral, far from it actually, but they're keepers none the less.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-9-2013 23:02:33  #2

Re: Underwood Golden-Touch Typers

Can anyone tell me where to locate data on the year of manufacture for my Underwood Golden Touch Quiet Tab Deluxe?  The serial number is AD2823111. This is the first one I have obtained.

Thanks,
Bruce Varner

18-9-2013 21:21:40  #3

btvarner wrote:

Can anyone tell me where to locate data on the year of manufacture for my Underwood Golden Touch Quiet Tab Deluxe? 

Bruce, according to the Typewriter Database (http://typewriterdatabase.com/underwood.4.typewriter-serial-number-database), it appears you have a 1956 model.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-9-2013 21:37:34  #4

Thanks Uwe!
I saw that but did not understand to disregard the AD in front of the serial number.  Do you know what that AD prefix designates?

Also, I go the machine cleaned up and did some test typing.  Much of the time the Capital letters are dropped below the line of type.  I see that I can vary that with the amount of pressure I apply to the shift key.  So, I may be just putting too much pressure on the key but it sure seems like there would be a more precise dead stop to end the shift travel and avoid such issues.

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions / directions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Bruce

19-9-2013 20:34:15  #5

btvarner wrote:

Do you know what that AD prefix designates?

For some brands the prefix can either designate the model type (such as with some Royal and Smith-Corona) typers, or even the month they were manufactured in (as with brands such as Brother). Sometimes they're also used to designate the country they were manufactured in. However, I don't know anything about the Underwood prefixes, sorry. Considering that my de luxe also has the 'A' prefix, it's possible that it designates the model in this case.

btvarner wrote:

Much of the time the Capital letters are dropped below the line of type. 
Do you or anyone else have any suggestions / directions on how to resolve this issue?

The machine has a segment shift and it sounds like yours is dropping to low when the shift key is pressed down. If you look on the underside of the machine, almost dead center is a crossbrace with a rectangular hole cut in it, and if you look through that hole you can see a small screw that I believe is an adjustment for the range that the segment can be moved.

It won't be easy to adjust because the screw uses a nut to secure it from moving. Maybe your nut came loose and the screw has slowly backed off over time?

I would have to take a closer look at one of my Golden Touch models to verify that everything I wrote is accurate, but you might want to look there first and see if that makes any sense to you.

On another note, since you have a Golden Touch that is older than mine, does the vibrator on your machine look the same as on my de luxe (with the swing open sides) or does it look like the one on my Universal?

21-9-2013 11:47:45  #6

Uwe,
You were spot on.  I found the screw as you described and it had backed out alot.  I got it readjusted and it types correctly.  After about two or three lines however it backs out again and the capital letters start to drop.  Have to figure out now how to get a wrench down in there to tighten nut so it will not move once adjusted.

I checked and the vibrator on my machine looks like your Universal.  This is the case even though mine does day Deluxe.

I was going to post some images but I need to have them online somewhere.  I notice that you have yours on blogspot.  I am on blogspot also but do not understand how you made the images available.  Please let me know and I will post images.

Thanks!
Bruce Varner
Analog Communications
http://dwabrenaissance.blogspot.com/

Last edited by btvarner (21-9-2013 11:50:16)

21-9-2013 15:57:39  #7

btvarner wrote:

Have to figure out now how to get a wrench down in there to tighten nut so it will not move once adjusted.

Good luck with that! A specialty wrench woud come to the rescue here, but without one I think you're going to have to get creative if you don't want to start disassembling the typewriter.

btvarner wrote:

I checked and the vibrator on my machine looks like your Universal.  This is the case even though mine does day Deluxe.

Interesting. So the updated vibrator much have been across all the models after a certain year and not specific to the de luxe, which is what I had initially assumed. It's either that or they updated it only for the de luxe at some point, but that would make less sense to me.

btvarner wrote:

I was going to post some images but I need to have them online somewhere.  I notice that you have yours on blogspot.  I am on blogspot also but do not understand how you made the images available.  Please let me know and I will post images.

I'm using a Windows platform, so all I have to do is right-click on the image in the blog and select "copy image URL". When in this forum, click on the "add image" icon in the toolbar above the message window, and then paste the URL into the pop-up window. Your image should appear here as it does on your blog, like this:

27-9-2013 11:48:35  #8

Uwe,
I have placed an update about my Underwood Golden Touch on my blog.  You can see more images and how my speciaman compares to yours.  Thanks!

Bruce Varner
Analog Communications
http://dwabrenaissance.blogspot.com/

Last edited by btvarner (27-9-2013 11:49:37)

Board footera