You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-1-2016 06:51:28  #1

Renaissance Wax and rubber platten.

I have recently bought some Renaissance Wax and have been lovingly applying it to parts of my typewriter. I haven't put it on any of the mechanism inside, or on the platten. I was wondering if a coating of Renaissance Wax would be detrimental,  or if it would actually do some good. Does anyone else use wax on a platten?

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

22-1-2016 06:53:54  #2

Re: Renaissance Wax and rubber platten.

I have never waxed a platen, but I wouldn't think you'd want to.  Wouldn't it make it slippery/shiny? For platens I've done the following: taken off and lightly sanded, cleaned with soft scrub, and/or cleaned with rubber rejuvenatior.

22-1-2016 07:20:07  #3

I might have to try it on my cheap Brother typewriter. If it goes wrong I can always get rid of the wax with white spirits.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

22-1-2016 12:02:11  #4

Product Description wrote:

Renaissance Wax was originally developed for the restoration and protection of art treasures, and is a micro-crystalline polish ideal for reducing friction, preventing rust and corrosion, and putting a shine on anything that needs it. It is a polishing agent for any wood or metal surface, leaving an extremely hard, thin, and durable coating with a resistance to water, alcohol and fingerprints. Used on furniture, Renaissance Wax will be the toughest wax you've ever used.

​Seems like a bad idea to coat a rubber platen with wax, especially one that would reduce friction in a component that requires friction in order for it to work properly. Further, it is intended for use on wood and metal; I didn't find any mention of it being suitable for use on rubber. 

The only product that goes near my platens is rubber rejuvenator spray that was specifically formulated for the cleaning and restoration of rubber rollers such as those found on typewriters.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera