You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-1-2016 17:01:30  #21

Re: New machine today.

Will a standard ribbon reel fit on this? (Staples) or do I have to custom order this?

19-1-2016 22:44:13  #22

Generic spools from Staples will work, but the ribbon reverse might require grommets to work properly. I use standard ribbon in mine and it doesn't seem to be an issue; worst case scenario you would have to either put in a couple of grommets yourself, or even easier, just manually reverse the ribbon direction when it gets to the end of a spool.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-1-2016 23:11:10  #23

Uwe wrote:

Generic spools from Staples will work, but the ribbon reverse might require grommets to work properly. I use standard ribbon in mine and it doesn't seem to be an issue; worst case scenario you would have to either put in a couple of grommets yourself, or even easier, just manually reverse the ribbon direction when it gets to the end of a spool.

Thanks Uwe
I'll problary get a proper ribbon I'm sure everything's working as it should be but for now a cheap generic ribbon to test things out seems to be the route I'll take. Thanks for your reply. I just needed to know it it would work.

20-1-2016 16:46:39  #24

I have finished cleaning the bottom half of this typewriter. All that's left is to do an oiling. I'm about to tackle the carriage.  Any suggestions as to cleaning the carriage would be greatly appreciated.

Should I dip it in soapy water first? Should I attempt to remove the platen? Or should I merely attempt an overall cleaning and be happy with that?

22-1-2016 16:29:27  #25

I have completed my work on this typewriter. Thanks all. Thanks the typewriter-man. I appreciate your help immensely. I may not have been able to complete the job without you.

I still need to purchase and install a proper ribbon on this. (I had an old one I installed as I needed to know if all was working).

I have decided to give this typewriter to my daughter. She has always wanted an antique typewriter and I don't know if I'll ever find her anything older than this!  I'll try to find myself another Underwood Standard some day. I'd like a 5. Oh well. Only one daughter.

Board footera