You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-2-2016 08:56:40  #1

Remington locks?

I'm going to look at a 1913 Remington standard early next week (cheap and clean with transfers bright and complete) but owner says 'keys only go half way up.'   Guessing that some lock is holding the keys back, but have no experience of early Rem Standards, so does anyone know if there is a lock which may be causing this, and if so, where is it on the machine?
Thanks!

Sincerely,
beak.

05-2-2016 13:27:00  #2

Re: Remington locks?

Beak, I just looked at a Remington standard from 1914 over on the TWDB but most of my experience is with later models.  Are you sure he doesn't mean that the typebars only go halfway up? In which case maybe they just need a good clean?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

05-2-2016 15:04:53  #3

My experience with Continental standards of that era is that there is a lock lever for the universal bar, and if engaged, it prevents the type bar/key from fully functioning. I don't know if the Remington has that feature - my interest is limited to models from the late '20s onward - but even if it doesn't I'm sure that it's something that could be easily fixed.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-2-2016 15:42:45  #4

Just an educated guess - the line-lock is probably jammed in the 'on' position.  If so, this should be a very easy fix !

05-2-2016 20:27:19  #5

Thanks everyone!

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera