You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-2-2016 23:55:43  #401

Re: New Member Thread

Welcome Bare Foot---what a great homage to your dad. My homage to my dad would be one of the IBM Selectrics that he collects and loves using.

06-2-2016 01:58:07  #402

Yes welcome.  And the typewriter is linked in memory to my dad too.  As a child, I went to his office one day and he showed me how to type.  Never forgotten it.

Sincerely,
beak.

06-2-2016 09:49:18  #403

Uwe wrote:

Hello unis82, and welcome to the forum.

As for your Olympia (UNIS), if the capital letters are aligned properly when you hold the shift key down, but not when you use the lock, there is an adjustment for the lock. Two screws hold a small plate that the shift lock latches onto and it can be moved to raise or lower the position of the shift lock.

Thank you.

The letters were aligned but can't find the due screws.So many of them...Some pic somewhere maybe? Thanks again

06-2-2016 13:14:36  #404

unis82 wrote:

The letters were aligned but can't find the due screws.So many of them...Some pic somewhere maybe? Thanks again 

​We should take this out of the New Member thread. I'll post a photo in the other thread you started about this issue.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-2-2016 13:27:23  #405

True,true... Yes please, thank you 

10-2-2016 20:02:08  #406

Hello, all! New member here. Have not had much to do with typewriters in the last 10 years, but recently acquired a 1974 Olympia SM9 in the hopes that it would freshen up my writing habits (word processing can sometimes be too easy for its own good).  

Furthermore, and contrary to my earlier forays into the world of typewriters, I've been pleasantly surprised to find myself taking an eager interest in the mechanics of my lovely machine! This forum having gotten me out of a couple of jams in that department, I thought I ought to join up and share my own experiences and insights.

Cheers!   

15-2-2016 01:06:43  #407

Hello all.  My name is Liam North.  I'm a writer.  I began using typewriters to peck out stories when I was a small child.  I still have the big 1935 Royal Model-10 KH my grandmother gave to me in 1970.  She said if I wanted to be a real writer, I needed a real honest-to-goodness typewriter.  Sadly, it was out of my possession for a while and deteriorated beyond repair.  But I have it back now and it will always be with me, in my study, loved and protected.  Maybe when I die, I'll donate it to Uwe.  I learned proper typing in school, because I wanted to be in that class with all the girls.  I was in the Navy for many years and my specialty required me to type at a moderate speed.  I used a variety of typewriter models, mostly Selectric IIs and IIIs.  I graduated to Wang Word Processors, had hands-on experience with the first IBM PCs and early versions of Word.  It was all uphill from there and I left typewriters behind, preferring computers and dear old, wonderful WordPerfect to record my daring (and not very good) tales of sci-fi and horror.  Now, some 30 years later, I'm back to typewriters again.  I can't get on the internet or check email if I'm typing on my Olympia SM4.  While my Selectric III is more advanced, it still doesn't allow me to surf the net.  It sits there and hums, patiently waiting for me to compose something grand and salable.  It is a challenging and daunting blank canvas.  I love that hum.  I love typewriters.  I am obsessed with them.  I want to give all those old dames a wonderful loving home.  But my wife says I must stop at ten.  I have no place left to hide them.  Damn.           

15-2-2016 01:15:06  #408

Welcome!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

15-2-2016 08:26:06  #409

Hi Liam, nice intro.  Welcome to the board. Do you have 10 yet, or are you still looking?

14-3-2016 14:52:39  #410

Finally created an account here too.... There. Did it
Have now a small set of portable typewriters (one of many interests). Tinkering, repairing and using these machines I find very enjoyable. Nice to share too. (All my machines are on The Database, by the way.)
Will see how I find my way round here!

Board footera