You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-2-2016 13:13:28  #711

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Ugh I hate when I do that.

Meanwhile.... I am in my room cutting a half inch ribbon to a 3/8 inch ribbon for my bennett.
I also hate doing that too. At least it doesn't have to be perfectly straight.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

07-2-2016 16:54:34  #712

KatLondon wrote:

My latest purchase is a £10 Splendid 66 that needs serious degunking to get rid of what appears to be half a bottle of WD40. I'm not e en sure why I bought it. Well, it's cute. It's a black one. 

Kat, if it types anything like mine, you will love it. Could an ultra-portable feel any closer to a standard? I doubt it. This machine is serious and solid. And even if yours turns out to lack in the performance category, this is one machine you might like to leave on display just for looks...;-)

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

07-2-2016 17:09:20  #713

Oops. The typewriter bug bit me yet again. This time on eBay, I won a sweet little Underwood 3 Bank (Hey Spazmelda, now we both own one!)

Back from a long break.

07-2-2016 17:56:28  #714

Great, you will be able to put new feet on it right away.  I was watching this one, I think.  Not interested in buying it, but curious to see how it would turn out.

07-2-2016 18:31:27  #715

It was the $59 one, with the best offer. I made an offer and it got accepted. Theres a few more for good deals right now too, one just sold for $100 (Not the best, but its one) and another mis titled an underwood type writter bidding at $15 right now.

Back from a long break.

07-2-2016 21:03:07  #716

Dang, I need some of this typewriter luck right now... Looks like I'm going through a bit of a typewriter dry spell right now...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

08-2-2016 06:42:10  #717

I know, this luck isn't usual. Well, last summer I started with 6 typewriters, and the summer ended with over 20....

Back from a long break.

08-2-2016 16:34:55  #718

I think I used all of mine up for the year when I got 4 typewriters back in November... 2 of which were free!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

09-2-2016 16:51:30  #719

Valiant wrote:

Kat, if it types anything like mine, you will love it. Could an ultra-portable feel any closer to a standard? I doubt it. This machine is serious and solid. And even if yours turns out to lack in the performance category, this is one machine you might like to leave on display just for looks...;-)

Okay Valiant, here is the deal. I have a cream-&-turquoise Splendid 33 that I love, though it's a little bit rough round some of its edges. I have one oft he ones with the maroon keys that has something wrong with its escapement. And this one, I started getting to grips with it yesterday, and guess what. The escapement - by which I mean the daisy wheel - is DETACHED. I mean it's wobbling around LOOSE. No wonder the carriage isn't working. 

Errr... 

09-2-2016 17:37:17  #720

KatLondon wrote:

Valiant wrote:

Okay Valiant, here is the deal. I have a cream-&-turquoise Splendid 33 that I love, though it's a little bit rough round some of its edges. I have one oft he ones with the maroon keys that has something wrong with its escapement. And this one, I started getting to grips with it yesterday, and guess what. The escapement - by which I mean the daisy wheel - is DETACHED. I mean it's wobbling around LOOSE. No wonder the carriage isn't working. 

Errr... 

Hi Kat: that is rotten luck! Did you find the machine online, and was it described accurately? I've been fortunate to have found all my machines (save one) locally, so I've mostly been able to avoid those that required major repairs* as I'd be out of my depth. I'm happy you have ONE that's working properly, so you know the model's potential. (Gee, I just re-read my previous post and it sounds like fluffy ad copy -- guess my day job is showing😉).
* our moderator has kindly repaired a few of my machines that needed special help

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

Board footera