You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-12-2015 20:49:56  #11

Re: World's sexiest smoker?

.... and Loy.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

14-12-2015 20:51:49  #12

Myrna Loy? 

Sincerely,
beak.

14-12-2015 20:52:38  #13

oooops - didn't look over the page.  Sorry Valiant.

Sincerely,
beak.

14-12-2015 20:57:58  #14

beak wrote:

oooops - didn't look over the page.  Sorry Valiant.

I think our posts were simultaneous. I didn't see my first and when I resubmitted it, yours had intervened. I'm sure we're both correct with the identification though, so we'll split the promised bonus points.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

15-12-2015 12:11:11  #15

Impressive. Two points for Kat, and Valiant and Beak get a ½ point each.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-12-2015 18:38:37  #16

How many points do you have to collect to get a free typewriter ribbon?

Sincerely,
beak.

04-2-2016 22:24:10  #17

Uwe wrote:

That photo has been on every typewriter blog at one point I would think. And it's not Maria Callas, but rather Alice Denham, who was the July 1956 Playboy Playmate of the Month.

What I like most about the photo is not the woman in it, nor the Royal HH she's standing in front of, but how it proves misinformation is easily spread on the internet. I don't know how the myth of the internet being a reliable source of information started, maybe it had something to do with its early pioneers who actually did post legitimate and reliable content, but it's not the authoritative source of information that too many believe it to be. Clearly you weren't fooled - probably because you're older - but as crazy as it sounds there are a lot of people out there who believe if they read it on the internet it must be true.

More about Denham from Wikipedia (another unreliable source):
"Alice Denham (born January 21, 1933 in Jacksonville, Florida) was an American model, author, and former adjunct professor of English at City University of New York. She is the author of the novels Amo - The feminist centrefold from outer space (1974), and My Darling from the Lions (1968) and short story collection Secrets of San Miguel (2013) as well as the novelisations Adios, Sabata (1971) and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1968). She has also published a memoir, Sleeping with the Bad Boys (2006), about her time among the New York circle of writers in the fifties and sixties."

And more fun and games: According to most sources the woman is still very much alive, but not according to this typewriter blog that claims she died in 2000. Maybe its author only meant she was career dead? At least he didn't claim she was Maria Callas. 

Would the real Maria Callas please step forward?

Ms. Denham has just passed away: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/arts/alice-denham-ex-playboy-centerfold-dies-at-89.html?hpw&rref=obituaries&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

13-2-2016 22:27:41  #18

Repartee wrote:

I caught the following image on Ryan Adney's Magic Margin typewriter blog:

Wow. Just wow. She looks beautiful and hard boiled - straight out of Raymond Chandler. Supposedly this is opera great Maria Callas, but more my idea of Phillip Marlowe's secretary.

Oh yeah - there is a typewriter also.

"I caught Ida reading my old case files again. 'You know, Marlowe, someday, somebody's gonna write about your cases and nobody'll believe 'em. They're gonna think a guy who talks like this is too...uh..."polished" to be a gumshoe. A little too educated and eloquent. Know what I mean?', she said, as a jet of smoke hissed out through her teeth.
'You could re-write them if you like', I answered, reaching for the pack of Fatimas on her desk.
'You kidding? I got enough to do around here. Maybe you could hire me an assistant. I could use a little support.'
Not from where I was standing, I thought to myself. "

My blog, about typewriters,wristwatches, fountain pens, Bond, and whatever else happens to be polluting my mind at any given time;
---->   http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au

Board footera