You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-2-2016 12:14:39  #1

My first manual typewriter: 1935 Remington Rand Model 5 Streamline

I recently purchased this typewriter from eBay for $91.25 shipped.  After spending a couple of hours cleaning it up and adjusting the ribbon, I think I made a good purchase. 

13-2-2016 12:17:16  #2

Re: My first manual typewriter: 1935 Remington Rand Model 5 Streamline

A couple of questions:

1) Can I do anything to replace the "A" and rotate the "P"?

2) It is missing the left bracket that secures the typewriter in the case.  Is there a source to purchase one of these with the screws?

Thanks in advanced for the help,
-Kyle

13-2-2016 12:18:20  #3

17-2-2016 18:16:47  #4

...or know what typeface this is?

17-2-2016 21:32:11  #5

Erm, why would you want to replace a type-slug? Replacement of a slug tends to be a common question here, and the answer is usually "if you have a death wish, than by all means go ahead." I wouldn't do that unless you have the replacement, or know how to do the job.

But bending the 'P' is 'p'-ossible if it's out of alignment. If you need to bend it, then just take some pliers and bend the typebar until it's aligned. Just be slow and careful, it can be tedious. 

As for the missing part, a parts machine or a fabricated part is the solution. 

Good luck!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

17-2-2016 22:43:20  #6

Hi kng: A nice looking machine! When you ask about replacing the A and rotating the P, I think you are referring to the keys, rather than the slugs, as ztyper has inferred, correct? I would be inclined to leave them 'as is'; they likely make your machine unique (out of how many of this model, hundreds of thousands?). I'm assuming they function properly just as they are? The typeface appears to be standard Pica or Elite, but I'm doubtful any of us could say with any certainty without seeing a sample typescript. Your photo shows that a lot of 'gunk' has accumulated on the type slugs, so one thing I would recommend: please take a toothpick and gently clean around the letterforms (bowls, counter forms, etc.) to remove the accumulated gunk. Your machine will provide a much cleaner, more legible typescript as a result. I don't know if the machine is missing a bracket on the bottom; maybe another forum member can answer that question for you?

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

18-2-2016 17:03:21  #7

O_o

Oops. Just listen to Valiant, he actually knows what he's doing... Sorry for the confusion

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

19-2-2016 02:14:57  #8

I'll look at mine tonight after I get home from work.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

24-2-2016 15:28:14  #9

There is a bracket (fitting) that goes there.  I finally got around to looking on mine.  Sorry it took so long.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

24-2-2016 20:16:57  #10

Thanks for all the help!

The pic of the slugs is before I cleaned them up.    I thought you might be able to identify the typeface from the symbol between the letter.

Thanks for checking on the bracket.  I guess I need to find a parts machine. 

Board footera