You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-2-2016 21:52:19  #1

Platen not catchin on SCM Classic 12, potential escapement issue?

I recently dug up an old SCM Classic 12, had a couple issues with it not sliding all the way which I managed to resolve. Now the only issue remaining is the fact that it will not catch when I push the return leaver. I hit the leaver pushing the paper to the right and then it just slides all the way to the left without stopping, ending in a ding.

I have figured out if I press the backspace key it will catch, but will only let me type for the number of times I presss the backspace key. Press it once and then type one letter, the platen slides all the way and dings. Press backspace twice and then type one letter, the platter moves over one letter. Type a second letter and it just slides all the way to the end again. You get the idea.

If I press the backspace too many times, about 10, then it releases and slides all the way to the end again. It was suggested that this was an issue with the escapement, so I tried everything above while watching the escapement and noticed that it misses on a specific tooth. Before I take it in to a local shop, is there any way I can try and fix this at home?
Thank you

Board footera