You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-2-2016 12:57:57  #1

Remington Rand Model Seventeen

I inherited a Remington Rand Model Seventeen recently and I'm trying to learn more about the machine.   I looked at the Typewriter Database and it talks about a "model 17" but my particular machine has "model seventeen" spelled out on the front and the serial number isn't listed (J324762) in their database.   I had the machine cleaned up by a professional.  It is in perfect working order and looks great.   Does anyone know where I can learn more about this machine and maybe what it's worth?   Is "model 17" different than "model seventeen" ?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I would include pics but I don't see any way to attach a pic to this post.  

20-2-2016 13:00:52  #2

Re: Remington Rand Model Seventeen

Im pretty sure there was no "Model 17" just it spelled out.
As for value and stuff, it is the model that came before the KMC. Look up Remington KMC, and they will look the same. Value, it depends. Was it CLEANED, or just SERVICED? Theres a HUGE difference.
If it was CLEANED, then you can probably get around $200 tops. And thats if its fully cleaned and serviced and in perfect shape.
If it was just SERVICED, then you can get around $150 tops. Thats just getting it good enough to type again really.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

20-2-2016 13:07:17  #3

Thanks very much.  It was just cleaned, no service needed.  It's in perfect working order.   I appreciate the help. 

20-2-2016 13:17:33  #4

Your welcome.

As I said before, if it really was fully cleaned, $200 absolute tops.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

29-2-2016 13:48:15  #5

That serial number puts it in 1941.  They don't list every serial number on the typewriter database.  It may be by either the first of the year or the first of the month, depending on what information is available.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

01-3-2016 11:48:24  #6

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Im pretty sure there was no "Model 17" just it spelled out.

Actually, both existed. Although I've never looked into the history of the model's labeling, I suspect that the "17" may have appeared on the pre-plastic key models.

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Value, it depends. Was it CLEANED, or just SERVICED? Theres a HUGE difference.
If it was CLEANED, then you can probably get around $200 tops. And thats if its fully cleaned and serviced and in perfect shape.

"Just serviced"?!? A professionally serviced machine is worth far more, cleaned or not. The vast majority of "cleaned" machines have only been superficially treated, and often by those who are doing more damage in the process than good. There is a huge difference as you stated, but I would place far more value on a serviced machine than one that was simply cleaned.

Regardless, in reality a buyer determines what a machine is worth, and there's no accounting for what some buyers are thinking when they hand their money over. Never underestimate the willingness of an uninformed buyer to spend a simply ridiculous amount on a machine. A machine's worth, for more knowledgeable buyers, is more often determined by the buyer's location (which the OP of this thread failed to mention), and the overall availability of that machine within the region.

@the hop, for what it's worth, I have three Model 17s, all purchased in the Toronto area, all in working but not cosmetically great condition, and the average purchase price was $28 CAD.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera