You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-3-2016 08:14:27  #1

Replacing drawband/string on Corona 4

I found a nice Corona 4 at an antique place Wednesday.  The drawstring is so far, still intact, but is frayed and doesn't look like it will hold much longer.  I found a blog post that describes how to reattach a drawstring on this machine, but thought I'd ask if anyone here has done it and has any advice to add. I'm thinking of using fishing line to replace.  Does it matter what type, size, strength?

https://myoldtypewriter.wordpress.com/category/corona-4/

04-3-2016 11:44:41  #2

Re: Replacing drawband/string on Corona 4

Spazmelda wrote:

I'm thinking of using fishing line to replace.  Does it matter what type, size, strength?

I use 80 lb fishing line which is ridiculous overkill - I have about 399 yards left if you need some.  Pros:  It's very strong, doesn't stretch and it's easy to make knots in. Cons: it's a cheesy white and green striped, but fortunately you don't see draw strings too much on a typewriter:
https://myoldtypewriter.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/img_3099.jpg?w=1000&h=

Other people use string - Rob Bowker at Typewriter Heaven uses linen thread:
http://typewriterheaven.blogspot.com/2014/08/restringing-corona-3.html

If you need pictures of my Corona Four and the drawstring set up, let me know.

04-3-2016 12:13:07  #3

I was considering linen thread, only because I happen to have some for book making.  I wax it for the books, and it turns out pretty strong.  I think fishing line is the way to go though for durability.

Did you replace the drawband on your Corona 4? Any tips? I haven't looked at the drum yet in detail.  Do you just tie a knot in the fishing line and wedge it into a slot on the drum?

04-3-2016 12:45:08  #4

Spazmelda wrote:

I was considering linen thread, only because I happen to have some for book making.  I wax it for the books, and it turns out pretty strong.  I think fishing line is the way to go though for durability.

If you'd like some of my fishing line, let me know and I can mail some to you.  As I said, I have hundreds of yards of it.

Spazmelda wrote:

Did you replace the drawband on your Corona 4? Any tips? I haven't looked at the drum yet in detail.  Do you just tie a knot in the fishing line and wedge it into a slot on the drum?

I didn't replace the draw string on my Corona 4, I just reattached it.  It had gotten loose and tangled under the carriage, so I wound the mainspring using the ratchet pawl (I don't know if this is kosher):

I hooked the end of the draw string temporarily on the end of the carriage, fetched the end of the draw string with a bamboo skewer and fishing line:

And then reattached it to the draw string mounting screw at the other end of the carriage.

When I've replaced draw strings, I usually just make a large knot at the end and insert it into the slot in the mainspring drum.  They seem to hold fine.

04-3-2016 14:45:13  #5

Oh, that is your blog I was looking at!!  Great!

I'd love some of the fishing line.  I looked and all we have is the weak little stuff.  I'll PM you my address. Let me know where to send money and I'll pay for postage if you want.

04-3-2016 15:00:28  #6

Great - got your address - will send some fishing line out a little later today.

Mary

04-3-2016 16:14:14  #7

You're awesome

Board footera