You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-3-2016 20:23:46  #1

Maybe User Error, Not Broken Typewriters

I'm re-learning typewriters after a lifetime of computer use. I have several portables, and have been typing for past couple of weeks (first time since I was a kid), and I wonder if the things I'm experiencing indicate a problem with the machine or the user:
* On my Royal Sprite, there are times when the space bar seems to make me skip quite a bit, like it's tabbing, not spacing. It's not every time. It seems to be when I'm typing very quickly. If I slow down, it stops. But, for instance, typing, "come to the aid of" I can pretty consistently get it to happen when hitting the space bar after aid.
* On multiple machines, I think with both basket shift and carriage shift, sometimes when I hold the CAPS key and type a letter, it'll type that letter almost like a superscript. Again, it may be when I'm typing quickly. If I do it slowly, no problem.
Is this just what happens when one tries to go from computer to typewriter, and I need to change my style, or does it indicate potential wear on some typewriter parts?

- from somewhere in Forest Park

05-3-2016 21:30:44  #2

Re: Maybe User Error, Not Broken Typewriters

Not sure about the skipping, may be dirt and grime like in my Royal 200 (which is a similar typewriter to the Sprite), but in regards to the caps, it seems like you're not pressing down in the shift key hard enough. When one types fast, they are compelled to hit the keys lighter, and the shift key is not a key to hit lightly. Especially the heavy carriage shift typewriters like the Royal 10 and the Olympia SM-4, they will punish for using improper technique. It's really a matter of getting used to the particular machine. If you use a machine with heavy touch for awhile, then one with a lighter touch will feel odd. Just keep typing, and you'll smooth everything out.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

06-3-2016 02:10:34  #3

i have experienced similar things when going from a typewriter to an iPad or laptop keyboard.  It is definitely a different feeling/typing experience.  There are several videos about typing technique in the World of Typewriter thread under Film Links.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

07-3-2016 19:11:47  #4

Thanks for this. It's probably me. I got a solid F in typing when I was a boy, and finally taught myself, though I do use the finger placement they taught in typing class - with more flexibility / less rigidity of course. I'm lightening fast on a computer keyboard. But I suppose I'm used to feeling like my mere touch is supposed to be the creative force on the page (computer keyboards are lovers, not fighters - respond to my caress!) - I'll need to learn to punch those keys again, like in the old mechanical keyboard days. I figured basket shift would be fine, but doesn't seem to make a difference - I need to hit it. Interestingly, the carriage shift on the Groma is light enough that, while not as fun, it's compensated for by the choppy typing style it inspires.

- from somewhere in Forest Park

Board footera