You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-2-2016 19:36:04  #1

Bennett Typewriter Disassembly Process

A few of you who have Bennetts but have no idea where to start for disassembly have no where to look. There are no actual websites that I have found concerning taking a Bennett apart (Besides removing the carriage and taking off the keyboard).

When I got my Bennett, the type wheel would jam and was very, VERY sluggish. The bottom rows of keys would also bring down the upper rows above too (They are not supposed too). 

Here is Part 1 of how to dissemble a Bennett. This concerns the most important part of the mechanism: The type wheel mover arm thing (Sorry! Have no idea what the name is!). This is the piece that has that curved gear that moves the type wheel.

(Below is copied from my website)

Oh, and one more thing. I estimated quickly that the ribbon was 1/2 inch. It was not. This mistake led me to cutting a ribbon from 1/2 to 3/8 inches over the course of a 1/2 hour.FIRST, To remove the keyboard, just unscrew the big knob on each side. Yu should probably remove the type wheel too, just pull that little nickel plated arm holding it down towards the front. It will have tension. Don't worry, its supposed to.
SECOND, Take off the carriage by flicking up that switch on the left of the carriage next to the platen, all the way up. Then slide the carriage off to the right.
THIRD, You now have the base. To take off the actual base plate to clean (Or look at) unscrew the 6 screws on the bottom. Four are for the feet (By the way, Im now making those and the washers for a Bennett or Junior), and then the two screws in the center on each side. The remaining screws for the bell, and I could not figure out how to take that out.
FOURTH, Most likley, if your type wheel is sluggish, the arm thingy in the middle is greasy. Unscrew the four screws holding the arm to the linkage arms. Two on the top, two you have to flip over the base to access. I recommend taking a photo BEFORE you do this, just in case. Almost there. Flip it upside down, unscrew the screw holding the end of the spring. Flip it over again. The gear teeth rack thing should come off.
FIFTH, Unscrew the holder thing (Little metal tab) towards the front of the Bennett. Take it off. Now, slide the arm towards the front, lift. The arm assembly thing should come out. Now you can degrease your heart out. (Well, I did...)
Make sure you spin the gear and stuff to get the degreaser in there. And, MAKE SURE YOU LET IT DRY! It might seem freed up, and you put it in, and then the next day the grease drys again.
SIXTH, if the shifting mechanism is greasy and hard to move, unscrew the screw holding the shift keys to the base, get a Q Tip and degrease the entire mechanism. There is also an arm that runs across the base. Degrease that too.

SEVENTH, Put it all back together! 

Below: Ugh. Ribbon Sludge!  Above: All the parts (Except the type ball mover mechanism) waxed, cleaned, and ready to re assemble!
​Below: Close up of the type ball mechanism. Once I get it smoothly working, there will be a video for disassembly, me typing, etc.  Bennett feet in progress!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

08-2-2016 19:37:19  #2

Re: Bennett Typewriter Disassembly Process

Oh, and one more thing I forgot. The 2nd part will be of the disassembly of the keyboard mechanism (To a point of course).

I do not think I will do one for the carriage, as there is not many parts to prevent anything from working...

Back from a long break.

08-2-2016 21:54:13  #3

I knew the Bennett was tiny, but not simple! That thing practically looks like a toy! Though keep up the good work, seem like it should be an easy project.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

09-2-2016 06:06:14  #4

I know! But it does type well.... It is like a Blick!

Back from a long break.

23-2-2016 12:46:22  #5

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Oh, and one more thing. I estimated quickly that the ribbon was 1/2 inch. It was not. This mistake led me to cutting a ribbon from 1/2 to 3/8 inches over the course of a 1/2 hour.

Did cutting down the ribbon work out okay? Did you just eyeball it with scissors? I have a Burroughs adding machine with an odd sized ribbon, and was wondering if that would work as a solution.

23-2-2016 13:01:41  #6

Yes and yes. Button course, I didn't realize the ribbon was too dry until I finished... Thats okay...

It would have to be smaller than 1/2 inch (Obviously) if you would want this to work, although Im sure you could just sew together two ribbons.

Back from a long break.

07-3-2016 06:28:30  #7

Ok everyone, I went about dissembling the key board part. Its fairly easy. You wouldn't believe the built up grease!

One thing that these Bennetts need is OIL! They WILL  NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS work without oil! 

Ill post pictures later.

Back from a long break.

07-3-2016 18:54:46  #8

Step One: Remove screw from the bottom of the type arm assembly. It is located on towards the top of the keyboard piece. The screw is holding the space bar and the ribbon holder piece. Be careful of the nut!

Step Two: Remove each hairspring. Just push down lightly, and pull out.

Step Three: Carefully take out type arms. (Ignore the messy background, I just did it on my bed so nothing got scratched)
Step Four: Assuming that the arms have been degreased and LIGHTLY oiled (To oil, grab a q tip, moisten it with oil, swipe it a few times on the surface of the arm that rubs against the other arms, AND oil the screw), place the type arms back into groups of 3, and slide the group back into place. Continue in order with the others.

The keyboard piece without any arms
The piece with the first group of arms
Step Five: Once all of the arms are in, insert the screw. You will most likely have to wiggle around a few arms to get it to go in. Once in, place the hairsprings in by inserting the straight end into the hole on the type arm, push down lightly, and push it into place in the little indent on the indented calendar above it. Repeat for all keys needed.

Step Six: Flip it over and test the keys. The top rows of keys and second rows should go back up by their selves (If they dont, try moving them up and down first to spread the oil), and a few keys on the bottom might not go up by themselves, which is okay.

Step Seven: Place the ribbon holder thing and the nut together, and screw it back onto the screw. MAKE SURE the space bar is in place first!

And your done!

Back from a long break.

07-3-2016 21:28:50  #9

This looks pretty extensive... glad it's also pretty simple!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

08-3-2016 06:37:36  #10

Heres a video.

Is the first video that shows a Bennett typing more than a few words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCmu4dAodI

Back from a long break.

Board footera