You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-1-2016 17:42:21  #1

3D Printing and Typewriters

Hello everybody!
I want to start a thread discussing the possibilities of 3d printing and typewriters. Heres some ideas that I have come up with, and will be able to design to 3d print...

-Key caps (For keychopped or missing keys)
-Unimportant missing parts
-Typewriter Case Keys (I plan on making a few for each key i have and maybe selling them in packs of 5 or something)
-Blick Type Wheels )This is an interesting idea that Ive been thinking about. Wouldn't it be cool to make a new Blick font? You would just have to have a really good resolution printer...)

Things I can't do (Well... Maybe)

-Noiseless Typewriter Typebar covers (Why are those always missing?)

Do you guys have any possibilties?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

26-1-2016 17:29:21  #2

Re: 3D Printing and Typewriters

If you guys have ever looked at Bennett typewriters, you will probably have seen at least one with a missing platen knob. I will probably start 3D printing replacement knobs soon, once I get some measurements! Ill let you guys know how it goes...

Back from a long break.

26-1-2016 19:16:02  #3

Hey try out the re-key-ing (?) process on this poor typewriter!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Royal-Portable-Typewriter-FOR-PARTS-FREE-SHIP-/321962535379?hash=item4af67669d3:g:0b4AAOSwk1JWhBek

Seems like it would be simple. Just make each bank of keys level, print out the tops, and then stick them on somehow. How to get the letter on? I'll leave that for you to figure out...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

26-1-2016 19:33:18  #4

For letters, I was thinking add an indent of the letter in the software, print it out, and fill it in with white sugru!

A guy contacted me on eBay, and might want me to print out a keycap for his Blick. Ill let you know if he responded yet...

Back from a long break.

10-3-2016 17:54:19  #5

Im in the process of printing a thing that I can cut ribbon (1/2 inch) to smaller widths. Plan to start cutting up ribbons for Bennetts and other typewriters in need of smaller width ribbons (Oh, and early Oliver 5s).

Back from a long break.

14-3-2016 15:03:52  #6

Last year I printed a full set of new keytops and rings for a maimed Corona Standard portable. That was fairly doable. Used low-cost FDM hobby-printer, makes the parts very cheaply (you need many). Partfiles are on Thingiverse, free to use...

Am also curious how hard it would be to print a new type-cylinder. High-res prints (13 micron!) are expensive though...

14-3-2016 16:18:31  #7

You mean a platen? The core of it I think would be possible, but platens are mainly rubber, so you might run into a bit of a problem there...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

15-3-2016 15:28:30  #8

Ah, no not the platen :-)
I meant the type-element. The Blick has the type on a cylinder that could well be printable. (Blick's uaffordable though so far
Printing new type for Hammonds may be more practical - the originals were I think vulcanized rubber. Printing in high-res acrylic could work. (Hammond's equally unaffordable ;-)

22-4-2016 11:04:22  #9

Everyone here has heard of the idea of 3d printing a typewriter, right?

Well. Its possible.

No, not a type bar one, or even a type wheel. But one like a simplex or an odell is!

Currently in design. Be prepared to see the first ever 3d printed typewriter, that actually works!

Back from a long break.

22-4-2016 12:46:59  #10

Designing in full steam ahead!

Whats going to... Oo I dont want to spoil it. You'll see.

Back from a long break.

Board footera