You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-3-2016 18:22:49  #411

Re: New Member Thread

Hello,

My name is Ray Montgomery. I am a systems engineer who recently retired from Lockheed Martin and moved in February from New Jersey to Astoria, Oregon. I have been a collector of other things (e.g., military insignia, plastic model kits, HO slot cars) for many years and started collecting typewriters about two years ago. The spark for typewriters came after a visit to Powell’s Books technical bookstore in Portland, Oregon. The shop had a number of old computers and several typewriters in the store window and I especially liked the Olympia SG-1. I took a few photos and then I was hooked.

Once bitten, a web search eventually led me to Richard Polt’s web site, the “what would you recommend as a first machine” question to him, and then to my first purchase of a Remington Noiseless 7 portable. Once in hand, I wanted to have the machine tuned-up and once again Richard Polt came through with the name of a great typewriter repairman in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Mike Brown, editor of “The Typewriter Exchange” newsletter). For those in the TW community that can, by all means find that repairman or repair shop. In addition to the tune ups of all my machines, Mike was and continues to be a great conduit to the wider typewriter community. Unfortunately, the closest shop is in Portland, just 2.5 hours away to the east.
My collection at the moment has about 140 machines, mainly 1919-60s portables from Remington Royal, Underwood, L.C. Smith, S&N, Smith Corona, and Olympia. For the past year I’ve been acquiring ultra-portables (e.g., Groma Kolibri, Antares Annabella, and Smith Corona Skyriter) and non-US machines such as S&N Erikas and Vosses from Europe. Of the standard desktops my favorites are the Olympia SG-1 and the Hermes Ambassador monster machines. As I’m sure many of the members do, I have a favorite typer; my current machine is a 1962 Olympia SF Deluxe. I also like the look and feel of the late 50’s and early 60’s Hermes 3000.

As to the future, I am interested in contacting other forum members in the US Northwest who may be interested in getting together for a type-in sometime in the future. If you are in the Northwest and are interested, please drop me a line via the forum and then we can communicate further. Of course I am happy to invite all forum members and will post such information in the proper sub-forum. And finally, I am looking for opportunities here in Astoria to set up a typewriter display such as I did in New Jersey. Should be fun.

Thanks for your time reading this long post and I look forward to communicating with the members.

Ray

17-3-2016 21:11:49  #412

If only you had joined us a month ago, I would've finally had another fellow New Jerseyian on the forum! But alas, no such luck... (and perhaps it was you who has been sucking up all of the machines in the state... Didn't know I had competition... ).

But welcome anyways! And great choice of the Olympia SF DeLuxe. Have to say it's one of my favorites too.

(Also, what kind of display did you have here? I would have loved  to have seen it)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

17-3-2016 22:28:38  #413

Hello ztyper,

I have been on the Yahoo typewriter group for a few months and just found this site. Sorry too I didn't get the chance to meet. Not sure if it was me taking all of the machines...but then eBay is too tempting sometimes. I also picked up a few machines from my friend in Philly.

Regarding my February display, it was set up at the Mt. Laurel, NJ public library for almost 3 weeks. Unfortunately, I had to take it down early in order to prep for the move. If you are interested in details of the display, I would be happy to send you my article (with photos) that has been submitted to "The Typewriter Exchange" newsletter for publication in April or maybe in the summer. What part of Jersey are you in? I lived in Marlton (South Jersey), near Moorestown (Lockheed Martin site).

Pleased to be aboard.

18-3-2016 15:58:49  #414

Ah, I'm in North Jersey, right near Morristown and not too far from Newark, the Oranges, and even NYC. Glad to know I wasn't the only one in the state for about a year and a half.

I'll PM you my email once I get the chance. I'd love to read about any display of typewriters anywhere 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

20-3-2016 14:25:54  #415

Hi All!

My name is Matt from the Toronto area, I've been a lurker here for a while now and have finally decided to take the plunge!  Awfully addictive, this place.  I've been interested in typewriters for 3ish years now, I enjoy writing and decided to see if a nice old typewriter would be something interesting to use.  Long story short, I now have two hobbies that feed each other, and way less free space to show for it.  

Buying fixer-upper machines is my way of keeping costs down, plus I'm fascinated by mechanical devices that I can observe the inner workings of and maybe fix, with a bit of luck (and a ton of advice from the folks here - thanks to all of the people who didn't know they were helping me!)   I figure as long as they look clean and work properly, I've done my bit.

I'm up to 8 machines now; two Olympias, two Remingtons, a Royal, a Smith-Corona, an Olivetti and an Eaton Viking that I use when the chance of theft or destruction goes up to a high level.  Hopefully once I get some pictures I can share my modest collection with everyone here.

Regardless, happy to be here and hello!  Looking forward to lots of happy travels ahead,

Matt

20-3-2016 14:50:41  #416

Welcome Matt!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

20-3-2016 16:22:16  #417

Hi Matt, and welcome. What a strange coincidence; I just met another Toronto-area collector this morning and suggested that he join the forum and assumed you were him, that was until I saw the name. Looks like I'll have to arrange a GTA type-in some day this summer as there are more and more collectors turning up in our area. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-3-2016 17:24:55  #418

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!  Sadly, I haven't seen any other typewriter people in my travels today, haha.  I'm a little ways out of the city, but would definitely be excited if a type-in materialized at some point.  Despite my best efforts, none of my other friends have really caught the bug, so it would be really neat to meet some people who share the hobby.

In my experience, at least, people are far more interested in the material that gets written, and don't always appreciate the importance/role that the machines themselves play as an integral part of my creative process.

21-3-2016 04:10:40  #419

Hey!
My name is Adam , and have found a new interest and this seems to be older typewriters. I think it is bound to my education , I'm an engineer. Therefore I find its very fun to fiddle around with old machines . Currently I own a Kappel 2 from 1922 and a Remington Rand Model 1 from the 30's . Have previously read a little in the forum and felt that now was the time to become part of the community too

21-3-2016 04:21:23  #420

Hello Ray, Matt, and Adam. Welcome to the board all of you!

Board footera