You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-6-2015 17:41:55  #21

Re: A question about the ethics of repainting a machine

While I'm new, would still like to weigh in on topic since also comes up with antique phones and fountain pens made of vulcanized rubber.

If it's your property, go for it!   Bad news is that in the long run, painting might lessen value.  

Serious collectors can spot them and will likely avoid.   

Can't speak for typewriter community, but for phones or pens if you decide to sell...

Make sure you're up front and say it's painted or "re-blackened."  Pen collectors in particular are very small group & will run dishonest sellers (advertising blacked pens as "mint" ) out of town on a rail!

As for key chopping.  Will steam-punk ever go away?

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.  History has quite literally gone to pot?

Surely he can't be serious.  This was a fraternity prank?

Brian 

Last edited by BrianE (04-6-2015 17:44:37)

05-6-2015 03:03:36  #22

Yes, we need this trend to go away. That's one depressing picture, Brian!

05-6-2015 03:04:09  #23

It's tourism.

07-6-2015 18:31:22  #24

I love the beauty of an aged typewriter.  But if it still works, I would paint it if its in that bad of shape.  I wonder why kind of paint is used in repainting a typewriter?  Would you spray paint the pieces or use a brush.  I just saw a Royal KMM Standard that was in terrible shape.  Pretty bad.  I didn't buy it the antique shop was asking too much money, and I look for a working machine, this needed a lot of work.  I would have repainted it at some point had I bought it, it was pretty bad.  

You can never have too many typewriters.

09-6-2015 20:28:41  #25

If the machine is in poor condition, there are really only two options:

1. Part it out. Yes, this means destroying a typewriter, but its parts may help dozens of other machines continue on in functional condition. Economically, this is also a better option if the machine would need some serious restoration. To anyone who needs parts to repair a vintage typewriter, this is where they come from.

2. Restore it. This will cost a LOT of money and time, so it's generally only worth it if the typewriter is a rare or desirable model (not always the same thing...). Personally, I think it would be cool to restore something like a pre-1930 open frame standard typewriter model like an Underwood No. 6, and paint it in a bright color (like yellow, red, turquoise blue, green, etc.). Those typewriters are gorgeous machines, and it's a pity they are all BLACK. 

Brushing paint onto a metal typewriter will never look nice and smooth, so your best option will always be spraying the paint on (either with an aeresol can or with an actual spray gun). 

Last edited by Retro-Z (09-6-2015 20:30:02)

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

09-6-2015 21:21:33  #26

Retro-Z wrote:

If the machine is in poor condition, there are really only two options:

1. Part it out. Yes, this means destroying a typewriter, but its parts may help dozens of other machines continue on in functional condition. Economically, this is also a better option if the machine would need some serious restoration. To anyone who needs parts to repair a vintage typewriter, this is where they come from.

2. Restore it. This will cost a LOT of money and time, so it's generally only worth it if the typewriter is a rare or desirable model (not always the same thing...). Personally, I think it would be cool to restore something like a pre-1930 open frame standard typewriter model like an Underwood No. 6, and paint it in a bright color (like yellow, red, turquoise blue, green, etc.). Those typewriters are gorgeous machines, and it's a pity they are all BLACK. 

This is all good, true advice unless you are someone like me and you can't stand to see a single machine destroyed, even if it is for parts. Boy, do I get a thrill whenever I fix a previously nonfunctional machine, rare or otherwise ;)

10-6-2015 16:14:58  #27

It's possibly the best feeling. To date, I only have one machine that I deemed 'unsalvageable' out of the 18 that I have ever owned. I recently just fixed the Antares Parva that I got back in January, and it felt absolutely wonderful to see it working again.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

20-3-2016 22:20:25  #28

I know that judging by the dates on these posts, I'm getting into this conversation a little bit late, but the stories and pictures I've been exposed to about keychopped machines really tug at my heart.  It sure seems a crying waste.  I wonder if they're still doing this in 2016, and if so, has it gotten any worse or has it tapered off?  Anyway, I still envision finding one of these lost and foundlings either in a dumpster or alongside it, rescuing it, and having the parts it would take to fix it back to either its original glory or something close.  Who knows, maybe I'd throw a nice coat or two of paint on it after I fixed it up and gave it a new lease on life.  As soon as this happens, and as soon as I get situated with being able to post pictures and as soon as I find such a machine.  

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

20-3-2016 23:19:11  #29

Just look on ebay there are plenty of examples of keychopped machines.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

25-3-2016 17:39:49  #30

I might just do that.  Though, Paddington Bear as I am, I've never bought anything online except through WalMart when I got my last Air Conditioner.  I've yet to look into PayPal and how to use it.  I do understand that the price they stamp on the machines they sell online does not include shipping charges.  If they're too high, I might have to take a few weeks to save my sheckles so I can buy something interesting to fix.  Plus, I could also look locally to see if there are any machines tore up in this fashion thrown in the dumpster.  Either way, I'll let everyone know just what happened, and how I plan to fix it.  Also, while I'm on the topic, I don't think there's anything wrong with repainting a machine.  One or two others on this forum have even said there really isn't much out there that would suffer value-wise, unless the machine is in pristine shape, or if it was a very very early make, like, say, a Hammond or one of them.  In fact, I am sort of in the planning stages of painting several of my machines that need it desperately.  What's more, I PLAN to paint them deliberately other colors besides their original factory coats (how many of these have we seen?) .  This will take awhile, along with taking pictures and putting them online.  I hope to dazzle everyone with my creations.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera