You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-3-2016 18:12:23  #51

Re: SG Owners Club

Add me to the group! Fortunately (or not if you are moving them), I acquired four of them, all with the paper stand. My favorite is one with Pharmacy symbols and of course, the paper charging handle is a blast to set up and use.. And as expressed by others, they are fun to use and produce a very nice result. Will post some photos per the FAQ as soon as I pick an app to use for photo storage.

26-3-2016 19:34:42  #52

Welcome to the club Ray... and be happy if you can keep it to just four. Once I discovered that it was my favorite typewriter I haven't been able to stop buying them. At this point my goal has become to have an example of each variation, but that will be a tough task given many are rarely seen in North America.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-3-2016 09:41:28  #53

There are two Olympia SG1's for sale in my area: one is a De Luxe and the other is a Super De Luxe. They're priced about the same, but the De Luxe has the plastic paper holder intact.

Anybody know what advantages the Super might have to offer over the other model, otherwise? It has a decimal tabulator, but I really don't care about that.

29-3-2016 11:27:35  #54

You answered your own question: the decimal tabulator. I can't stress how nice it is to have an SG1 with the paper rest; because it's adjustable, you can set it for your paper length and thereby know in advance how close you are to the bottom edge of the page.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-4-2016 19:13:56  #55

Just picked up my first SG-1. Had been waiting for years to even see one in person. So mine is serial # 7 - 654876, from 1961.
While I had heard how fine they were, it's just one of those things  that you need to experience in person.
Since I had owned an Adler Universal from 1955, and thought that it was fine, I almost didn't want to sully the Adler's reputation. But now that I' ve experienced the SG - 1, I can say that it is probably the most perfect typewriter ever made!!
I'm not sure how to upload photos to this site, but everyone knows what they look like....  It's great to be a part of this priviledged class.

02-4-2016 23:36:01  #56

Oliver9 wrote:

...now that I' ve experienced the SG - 1, I can say that it is probably the most perfect typewriter ever made!!

Our ranks just keep on swelling...

Regarding photos, please read the FAQ thread in the Type Talk sub-forum. There are full instructions there.

10-4-2016 20:03:09  #57

Uwe wrote:

You answered your own question: the decimal tabulator. I can't stress how nice it is to have an SG1 with the paper rest; because it's adjustable, you can set it for your paper length and thereby know in advance how close you are to the bottom edge of the page.

Unfortunately, the SG1 with the paper rest sold before I was able to get to it. Ended up with the Super de Luxe instead. It's in pretty decent condition -- minor rust on the chrome(?) parts, no dust on the inside -- and the type impression is excellent. Going to address one or two sticky keys later this week.

For such a big machine, it sure has a small typeface -- about 12cpi. I like how easy it is to remove the carriage (12").

Serial number comes in at 7-202791 -- which would put it between 1957-1958 if I'm reading the Typewriter Database correctly. Any significance to the "7.6" superscript to the left of the "Super de Luxe"?

11-4-2016 11:47:03  #58

verhaden wrote:

For such a big machine, it sure has a small typeface -- about 12cpi. ...Any significance to the "7.6" superscript to the left of the "Super de Luxe"?

It's not unusual for a standard typewriter to be fitted with an elite typeface; I actually prefer it because you can fit more text to a line, although I'll admit that when editing the extra elbow room that a pica typeface provides is more practical.

The 7.6 number is a measurement of the segment's motion between upper and lowercase. If you look at an old typeface manufacturer's catalog you'll see that one of the parameters you needed to know when ordering replacement type for your typewriter was its motion. Ordering a typeface with the right motion size ensured that it would work with your typewriter. I always found it odd that Olympia stamped this number on the segment cover plate given I don't recall having ever seen it done by any other manufacturer. Replacing type was a job for an expert who would have known the motion specification for the machine, so a possible explanation might be that most manufacturers only used one motion size and that more than one motion size could have been used by Olympia. I'd have to look through my notes to confirm it, but I have a vague recollection that there was another motion size for the Olympia standard. 

08-5-2016 17:39:06  #59

First Standard and all I can say is ... WOW!

https://imgur.com/a/s65N8

I bought this about 6 weeks ago. A 2 1/2 hr drive one way. Fortunately, my daughter lived near the seller, bought and held onto this for me. I finally received it last night.

This came with the desk. It felt and looked like it sat for years. No ribbon and the type slugs were clean with slight oxidation.  All the rubber material kept well.

Lots of surface rust including most of the type bars. Carriage sluggish, absence of any oil or even grime. I spent most of the day cleaning this. I still need to get the rust off the screw heads and various other metal parts. Other than that, it's typing great! I'm extremely pleased with the typing action and carriage is now running smoooooth. I think I found THE typewriter. Why did I wait so long to buy a standard? I'm in love! 

08-5-2016 21:03:03  #60

Very nice one! Six weeks is a long time to wait to collect it! I think I had to drive about 1 1/4 hours to get mine.

One thing I absolutely love about it is on the back -- what I refer to as "cooling vents" below the carriage assembly. Not sure what purpose they serve, other than looks, but they're a kick. And yes, it's a dream to use. (Now you need to look for an SG3. A whole different look, but also a great machine.)

Board footera