You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-3-2016 22:45:35  #1

Is this an SM1 or SM2?

http://oztypewriter.blogspot.com/2013/12/cincinnati-dreamin-all-olympia-sm2.html

Is this an SM1 or an SM2? Messenger, and a couple others refer to these Olympias as SM2's, but all of the 50-51 Olympias with this front cover style (with the flat parts above the spools) are listed in the Typewriter Database as SM1's. I believe originally, if I understand it correctly, when the SM1 came out there was no number and it was just called the "SM," and the number distinction came later. Were there early SM2's with the same front cover design as the SM1, or was that one of the things that distinguishes the two models?

30-3-2016 01:34:17  #2

Re: Is this an SM1 or SM2?

In my books it's an SM1, plain and simple. Why not ask the guys you're referring to as to why they call it an SM2?

I think the only SM model that was ever labelled (on the machine) as such was the SM2 - and even then only one the earlier models. The SM2 had the same ribbon cover and case shape as the subsequent SM3, 4, and 5 models.

The SM1 was an early post-war offering by Olympia that was very similar to the models that it offered before and during the war such as the Progress (below). Optima's first post-war effort was also a version of the same machine called the Elite (often referred to as the Elite 1), which wasn't really original given the Elite name was used by Olympia before/during the war .

1937 Progress

1949 SM1

'50s SM2

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-3-2016 09:42:32  #3

Uwe wrote:

In my books it's an SM1, plain and simple. Why not ask the guys you're referring to as to why they call it an SM2?

Thanks, Uwe. That is what I thought. I don't have an account that allows me to comment on blogs and I didn't want to email anyone that I didn't know out of the blue.

30-3-2016 12:45:07  #4

For what it's worth, the SM1 was only produced between 1949 and 1951, whereas the SM2 started production in 1950 and ran concurrent with the SM3 as the more basic portable in Olympia's model range. I had a look at the blog you linked to, and the serial numbers mentioned in it fall within the range of the SM1's serial numbers, which spanned 12,301 to 135,086. SM2 serial numbers started at 80,000 and ran into the millions. My SM1 (pictured in my previous post) has a serial number of 16,486.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera