You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-1-2016 17:20:12  #1

Is this a real paint job?

This Royal Portable has crackle blue paint. Isn't it supposed to be smooth, or did they come like this too?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

02-1-2016 18:12:46  #2

Re: Is this a real paint job?

I have to say, I dig it, but it looks like the paint dried out and got cracked up.

02-1-2016 18:26:42  #3

Yes, it's a "real" paint job. There were other colours available too.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-1-2016 18:57:37  #4

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

06-3-2016 18:24:36  #5

It looks to me as if the typewriter started out with a polished black surface, but then weathered over a period of time (depending on where and how it was stored), and "alligatored."  It has character now, and I wouldn't change it.  It looks fabulous now.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

06-3-2016 19:27:23  #6

Definitely a factory finish imo - I have seen models in very good condition that have just this 'animal skin' appearance - I'm sure it was intended to look like that, and is not simple aged paint.

Sincerely,
beak.

06-3-2016 20:41:08  #7

Did you buy this off of ebay, cause I was looking at one like that.  Almost bid on it.

14-3-2016 14:36:48  #8

That's a factory finish, a luxe special finish too

Made by painting several layers and using shrinking of the hardening paint. First a blue smooth layer, properly dried and hardened. Then ideally a transparent lacquer, dry but still sticky when the black is sprayed on. The black shrinks when drying and cracks, floating on the sticky paint. The size of the 'islands' is determined by the thickness of the transparent lacquer layer.

Could also be done without the lacquer, but using the base (blue). So spraying the black over the still sticky blue. 

Have a Remington Portable 2 (for now) with a finish like this. Very hard and fragile paint. 

01-4-2016 20:26:30  #9

Well, learn somethin' new everyday.  I used to think everything Royal made during that time was with that buttery smooth black paint they used.  

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera