You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-6-2013 04:13:40  #1

Advice for a growling carriage?

My Olympia SM4 has a little problem that I'd like to fix.  The carriage makes a tiny growling sound when moving, but only when it it travels left of centre.  Some toothed wheel or toothed rack is clearly fouling something it souldn't.  The problem is not major, but it's obviously to be dealt with now before anything gets worse. 

Since the problem does not happen when the carriage is shifted, or even when raised the merest fraction by hand, I'm hunting out info about adjusting the height of the carriage on the left side, but am taking this slowly - researching carefully - becasue I've no intention of fiddling with things I don't fully understand.

Any shortcuts, thoughts or advice will be very welcome meantime.

Sincerely,
beak.

06-6-2013 08:25:41  #2

Re: Advice for a growling carriage?

Beak, that is a common, if not universal, problem with those SMx Olympias and it's easy to fix. There are four rubber washers between the outer shell and the inner works and they have collapsed with age; this lets the moving parts fall far enough to drag on the shell.

You will see them from the bottom of the typewriter, towards the corners, between the painted shell and the frame, held by large screws. Use rubber washers about 1/8 or 3/16 inch thick (diameter doesn't matter much) from your hardware store's plumbing department. If you replace them one at a time, you won't have any trouble keeping things aligned.

Have Fun with your rejuvenated SM4!

06-6-2013 20:43:13  #3

Briliant -  Yes: following your tip I notice that there is a very faint mark on the shell's paint, and that the noise is coming from there as the carriage passes it - off to the hardware shop for some washers.  THANKS!

Update, later that same day...
It worked!  Growling is no more.  I kiss your feet in thanks. Out of interest, were you a repairer or in some other way a TW professional, or have you learned what you know through collecting?
PS
For reference, I used a packet of ordinary black tap washers.

Last edited by beak (07-6-2013 03:25:04)

Sincerely,
beak.

03-4-2016 17:00:42  #4

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone reading it, here is my observation:  A problem like this, and I've run into it quite a bit on lots of typewriters, would make more a grinding than growling sound.  I have fixed grinding sounds, and the consequent dragging carriage, with washers this way.  A true growling--the sound the carriage makes when there is no dragging shell pieces or anything like that, is usually caused by little tiny ruts in the carriage track.  I've seen this especially on Royal and Smith-Corona portables.  I've even seen in on the front tracks of the old Underwood SX-100 machines.  Even my ol' 1952 Royal HH had such wear on a rod in the back that rested on a wheel.  On that one, I just grabbed a pair of pliers and turned it about a quarter turn.  On the other carriage tracks, I did a little sanding with some coarse-grade steel wool.  Sandpaper will work.  Both methods you have to watch whatever falls down into the machine and clean it out when you're through.  It takes a little time getting them smooth again, and you might have to make a compensatory adjustment or two, but in the end, the carriage will sound as smooth as it did when it was a young typewriter once again.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera