You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-4-2016 06:11:13  #1

Trouble removing front panel: Remington Noiseless Portable (1937)

Hello there!

I am in the process of cleaning and repairing a 1937 Remington Noiseless Portable (serial N121425). There's a boatload of gunk inside so I am trying to remove the front panel to get better access.

The problem is the Backspace and Margin Release keys — they are poking out of the front panel and prevent me from lifting it off:

Here's a close-up of one of them:

And a live-action shot of it preventing me from lifting off the panel:

My instinct is that the tops of these keys should screw off, but they simply will not budge.

I have tried applying degreaser and leaving them for a long while before trying again, but no luck. 

Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they definitely come off? It could be that I am not trying hard enough, but I really don't want to force anything in case I have overlooked something obvious.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated! 

Thanks

02-4-2016 11:49:08  #2

Re: Trouble removing front panel: Remington Noiseless Portable (1937)

If you look at the underside of those two problem keys compared to those on the keyboard you'll see that they're mounted on round stems instead of flat bars to facilitate their removal. In your last photo it appears that a part of a threaded section below the key is visible, so your hunch that they need to be unscrewed is most likely correct .  

I would carefully support the stem with needlenose pliers to prevent it from being twisted (grab it as low as possible and use a piece of cloth so that the plating doesn't get damaged), and then try to unscrew the key in a counterclockwise direction. It's possible that the threads are slightly corroded, so a little bit of penetrating oil (WD-40) concentrated in that spot should help. Just cover the rest of the machine with a rag before you spray or you'll have more of a mess to clean up later on.

I have the noiseless model that preceded and succeeded yours, and neither have that set up, so I wonder if it was a problematic arrangement? Since I don't own your exact model, please triple check the connection point underneath the key for any sign that the key and stem are in fact two pieces before trying to unscrew them.

Good luck! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-4-2016 23:48:03  #3

Thanks so much, Uwe! I followed all your advice and it worked out very well indeed.

It turns out that they are not actually screws, but are just pegs. After twisting for a while one of them finally just popped off, much to my surprise! 

Once they were out I could more clearly see the backs of the key bars and that they actually have a slit down them:

Viewed from above they are a C-shape:

I clearly didn't investigate enough from the back because I would have seen those slits.. it makes it more obvious that they 1) come out and 2) are not screws. It was also the best place to apply lots of lubricant/degreaser.

After discovering this I then lubricated the other one liberally and pulled upwards until it popped off. 

Thanks again so much for your advice! In terms of this being a unique set up, I did read this on Richard Polt's site as I was researching the issue:“One sometimes sees RNPs on which the back spacer and margin release keys protrude through the plate behind the keyboard; this allows for two more character keys to be added to the keyboard. Such machines, in my experience, turn up in Europe. Probably Remington made them for export, so that they could handle accents and other characters for European languages.”

It sounds like these are some of the models that made it out here to Australia.

03-4-2016 00:22:11  #4

I almost had a heart attack when I saw your first photo because it looked like you had snapped the top of the stem off! 

Glad it worked out for you though. Whenever I tackle something new, or don't fully understand how it works, I usually try to look at the problem from every possible angle before bringing out the tools. Forty years ago we could have afforded to take a more devil be damned approach to repairing machines, knowing that replacement parts are a phone call away provides a nice safety net, but now we have to be extra careful to preserve the parts we have.

Anyway, enjoy the machine and hopefully you'll feel inspired to share some photos of your other machines in our photo gallery threads. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-4-2016 00:45:45  #5

Haha, sorry for frightening you! Thanks for caring enough to be upset though

Yes — it's a valuable lesson learned for me there, to really get behind with a torch even in dark spots and check every single angle of a component. I really thought I had checked it out completely, but now I grasp how thorough I need to be.

Thanks again! Couldn't have done it without you. And yes I will certainly share photos in the galleries once I finish up with all my machines.

03-4-2016 16:51:55  #6

Yeah!! that one had me going too!!  And I've snapped off alot of parts in my time.  Usually I've been able to fix them back, and in this case, it looks like roll pins have been used.  Quite cleaver!!  Think I'll remember this if and when I run into a similar problem.  Thank you.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

03-4-2016 22:52:26  #7

No worries! Hopefully it will also be of help to a future googler who failed to inspect the back of the stems like I did

Board footera