You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-11-2013 18:14:47  #11

Re: Groma Kolibri Luxus

That is a beautul green and white typewriter, I take it as foreign made?,  and the sea, white table with hat and note pad:  arresting.   Does it type as nice as it looks?    I have a Royal Arrow, made in Holland, smallish and light, weighs nine pounds..   It looks more utilitarian and types a little rougher too.  But it is ok for something to cary around.  
    I have several portables which weigh 14 to 15 lbs. each.  

14-11-2013 19:00:53  #12

The green typewriter is an Olympia Traveller de Luxe, which weighs exactly 10 pounds, a little on the heavy side for a portable its size. Whether or not you can consider it foreign made would depend on where you live. ;-) This one, like most Olympia models, was made in Germany.

It is an excellent typer; like most of the small Olympia portables it is based on the Olympia SF which combines a nice typing action with a solid and durable chassis.

I have a few Royal Arrow models, but none are made in Holland. Maybe you could post a few pictures of yours in a new thread? I'd like to see which generation Arrow you have.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-11-2013 16:40:22  #13

Just being mischevious !  Are you sure it was made in Germany ?  Most of the later Travellers were actually made in Yugoslavia by a firm called UNIS which sub-contracted to Olympia.  The way to tell is to look at the back of the casing.  If there is a aluminium plate rivetted on with the words 'Olympia AG - Wilhelmshaven', it's German.  If there are just two tiny holes (where the plate would have been rivetted on), it's Yugoslavian.  Not that it matters.  The Yugoslavs made an excellent job of manufacturing these machines to German standards.  Other clues are the UNIS logo in the frame casings, and on earlier production, moulded inside the plastic snap-over carry case.

15-11-2013 17:19:36  #14

Yes, I'm certain it was made in Germany. Of the four Traveller models in my collection, two are German made (including the green one) and the other two are Yugoslavian examples. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-11-2013 13:45:09  #15

I found this machine in a trash pile by a thrift store.  It was dirty with typebars stuck together.   I took it home, cleaned it up, put solvent on the keys, and ;it worked fine.   Also,  it had been little used with a perfect platen, no dents and still soft.  It has a Pica slugs.   I also found a user manual with it.    

18-11-2013 17:17:28  #16

Very, very nice. Royal made quite a number of different portables between the late '50s and early '70s and I find most of them to be aesthetically appealing models. You could build an entire typewriter collection using nothing more than Royal portabale from that era.

That was a great find. Of course nothing replaces the much earlier Arrow models, but I sure would like to own one of these Arrows too.

19-11-2013 16:03:36  #17

I like the earlier models before 1950, still I have a few later that work well.  A Smith Corona of 1952 that was given to me.  I did not care for the rounded and thinner metal case, but it typed well: no skips or run-ons, rather a firm typer.  But as I used it I became more fond of its accuracy.  I have a Remmington that looks like a mid 1940`s--the case is even made of wood covered by fabric.  Its called a Remmington Lite Typer with pica slugs, but oh, what a easy going feeling it has.   The casing is of a heaver metal than the Smith.   Looking up the serial# it came out as a 1952;  could those serials be innacurate?  I  read that sometimes they are.  
    Looking up some history of Rems.,  a collector called those of the 1930`s, "those sweet Remmingtons."   I have to agree about mine, it has a sweet action, and the adjustments are all obvious and handy, simple and easy to use.   It is brown with crinkle coat paint.    

20-11-2013 15:00:11  #18

What are the characteristics of the earlier Royal Arrows?

20-11-2013 16:11:39  #19

Notquite_there wrote:

What are the characteristics of the earlier Royal Arrows?

An exemplary design, but more importantly, they had a very precise typing action. My wife, who is very unimpressed with my need to collect typewriters, tried the 1947 Arrow that I have and promptly claimed that it now belonged to her. She types must faster than I do, and has tried out a number of models that I own, but none made the impression on her that the Arrow did. 

I would argue that the Olympia SM3 and Smith-Corona Super-5 models that were produced just after the Arrow are even better machines, but it was the Arrows styling that also helped to win her over. The squat Kleenex box look with its nickel-trimmed keys is a nice combination of sophistication and rugged machine.

I mentioned to her that it was this exact model that Hemingway once used - among other typewriters - but that didn't impress her in the least. It was the machine's performance that sealed the deal for her and not its reputation.

Hemingway's Royal Arrow:

22-11-2013 17:34:19  #20

That Arrow looks like the Royal Quiet Delux,  what is the difference between the two?   

Board footera