You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-4-2016 20:16:57  #1

Nekkid-Riter

This might be sacrilege to some here, but I've finished taking the chassis of my Hermes 3000 (the boxy, plastic 1970s styled version) and mounted it to a thick base of oak. This idea hit me some weeks ago after having serviced the chassis, I admired how much smaller and more interesting it looked without the plastic shell.

I intend on making a custom wooden box for storage and carrying the machine.

Of course, I've saved all the original parts to the body, in case I ever want to convert it back.

I raised the mounting points ~10mm above the base with rubber bushing washers, to dampen the sound and provide enough clearance underneath for the tab linkage to function. It also keeps the space bar from bottoming out on the wooden base. The 5mm machine screws are countersunk into the bottom.

A thick rubber sheet was glued to the bottom, which serves as its own non-slip typing pad.

~Joe

PS: I like the spelling of "nekkid" better than "nekked" as it implies a specific pronunciation.

10-4-2016 20:19:59  #2

Re: Nekkid-Riter

Here's a blog article about this project, that also includes an embedded link to my latest Typewriter Video Series episode.

http://joevancleave.blogspot.com/2016/04/behold-nekkid-riter.html

~Joe

11-4-2016 12:03:30  #3

I've seen it done before, and don't consider it sacrilegious if all the parts are kept so that it can be restored to its original condition - as you did. It's not my cup of tea, mostly because I view the design of a machine's case as a major component of its character, and I see the insides of too many machines for it to be a novelty of any kind. Then there's also the reality that the machine ends up being significantly noisier to use. There's a machine for sale in my area right now - oddly enough, a Selectric - that was also mounted to a wood platform; however, clearly their reason for doing so was different and I assume it was to expose the machine's innards for some artistic reason. It comes with a bag of parts, apparently they're all there, for the buyer who wants the Selectric for a more practical use.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-4-2016 12:38:13  #4

I'm actually doing the same thing with my Hermes 3000 and for, roughly, the same reasons. I bought it without the front protection plate, but the carriage would get locked up, the space bar didn't actuate properly, keys were sticky, etc. I had the metal green shell removed for weeks while I found time to tinker with it.

And when I got it all fixed and put back together, it looked a bit silly without the top cover. So I stripped it down again. My non-typewriter friends are very intrigued by it.

11-4-2016 14:17:12  #5

Uwe makes a good point, because of all the typewriters, the 3000s are so brilliantly soundproofed!

It just looks kind of small & vulnerable to me...

Board footera