You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-4-2016 11:33:19  #11

Re: How to politely tell a seller their item is over-priced?

KatLondon wrote:

...I explain exactly why it's worth the money. That is, that it's been thoroughly cleaned, is in great condition, types really well, has had small repairs, has a new ribbon, etc. 

My biggest peeve with sellers who ask exorbitant prices for machines is those who have the sack to state that the ribbon needs to be replaced, but it's no big deal since they are inexpensive and readily available. Really? You're asking $500 for a readily available typewriter that you think is rare, and you can't even be bothered to replace its ribbon for $10? For that price I expect a new ribbon at the very least, hand delivery on a velvet pillow, and lunch at a local eatery of my choice. Anyone selling a properly refurbished machine for that amount (and therefore justifying the cost, would certainly put a new ribbon in the thing).

KatLondon wrote:

THIS one for example... how would we price this? 

A Remington EJ that is missing a number of parts? (And yet, according to the seller, is only in need of cleaning and oiling). I'd happily give the seller $5 and shelve it with other future project machines. Even in that state I'd have my eye on returning it to full functionality rather than parting it out. $5-$10 is my price range for the lost cause models; in a worst case scenario, the parts alone would be worth that.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-4-2016 12:52:25  #12

14-4-2016 16:43:46  #13

14-4-2016 16:54:18  #14

"slightly" -malole 2016

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

14-4-2016 20:11:24  #15

malole wrote:

slightly overpriced, this one...

A savvy seller knows that mold and rust on a typewriter means that it's worth more...  

This is one seller that I wouldn't concern myself with politeness when telling him that his pricing is beyond ridiculous. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-4-2016 05:07:09  #16

Perhaps it is a typewriter 'thing' after all; all of the seller's other items are at least in the 'this side of sane' price range.

Sincerely,
beak.

15-4-2016 14:28:49  #17

Did someone have a quiet word with the seller?! It's been reduced to an unrealistic £50!

04-5-2016 19:48:16  #18

To out myself, I have never bought anything online since I don't have Paypal or any credit cards.  I have always bought locally.  That way, I can actually look over what it is I'm buying out of an antique store, secondhand store, flea market, garage sale, et cetera.  If I feel the person is asking too much for his prized possession, I would usually point out the problems I see, and usually that lowers the price a few bucks.  It doesn't always, because you have hardnoses out there who are convinced they have a treasure.  You can either go ahead and buy it, assuming it's something you really want and it won't set you back too far, or you can simply walk away because usually there is a better bargain on something else in the future anyway.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

16-6-2016 14:41:04  #19

Over priced typewriters are everywhere in Denmark these days. It seems someone found out there was a market for it. But the sellers generally have no clue as to the value of typewriters. We have this huge site where EVERYONE sell EVERYTHING, and just today I've seen a red Corona No. 4 in excellent condition for 300 DKK (55$) and a Silver-Reed 80s plastic-something for 2.400 DKK (440$). 
So the question is: Do you write to the Silver-Reed guy (even though you don't wan't the machine) just to do him a favour? And do you write as if you believe his asking price is real or just a blingy marketing scheme? I have burned my hands on something like this before.
Here is another example from that very site: Now this is 140$ we're talking about.
http://www.dba.dk/skrivemaskine-mercedes-super/id-1024837385/

16-6-2016 14:43:52  #20

And another one. Same site and 490 $: 
http://www.dba.dk/skrivemaskine-mercedes/id-1024807308/

Board footera