You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-4-2016 05:29:36  #1

SM8 carriage scraping - and a tab stop query

Hi guys, I've just finished cleaning up and lightly repairing my SM8 - I've had it for some time, and used it very happily, but it has been complaining - so I've dome the full monty on it. Actually, I need to sell it; I've got an SM9 now and no room, and some financial straits to sort out... so I've given it all the love, and a new card holder off my broken SM5 and it is all ready to go except for one thing! There is, now, and it seems to me there wasn't before, a definite drag and scraping sound when I return the carriage.  It is exactly like this.

I've checked the rail, the teeth are lovely; the whole thing is lovely. The comment that seems to make the most sense is this one: 

'It's an issue in the escapement. Turn it upside down - There is a lightly sprung pawl that is supposed to release fully when you return the carriage, same as when you press the button down to release the carriage. Compared this to another sm9 and saw that pawl should lift out of the way until you stop moving the carriage. It's annoying but it doesn't seem to damaging so far. I hear they can be adjusted to fix the issue, but I'm not taking mine apart just yet.'

What do we think? I was really hoping to get this up on eBay this morning! (Already held up by the sudden realisation that I could swap over the old manky card holder for the SM5 one...)

ALSO:

When I went to clean it, I found a horrifying sight. And basically it has resulted in all the tab stops being broken. They were completely filled with something that I can only say was exactly like ear wax; all I can imagine is that it must be something to do with nicotine, though why it would gather in such huge quantities in the tab stops I don't know. I couldn't even see the springs in there. In the event, after accidentally knocking a couple of those out, I realised they would have to be manually cleared of the disgusting stuff, so I took them all out and had to literally soak and then prise the stuff out of them with the tip of a tweezer. Now, after ridiculously long and patient attempts, I have given up trying to get the blighters back in there. NOTHING works. I have small hands and patience, and have tried using all kinds of tiny implements and approaches. I have resigned myself to selling the machine with no working tabs, which knocks something like £50 off it, doesn't it. I can now only find three of the springs, but if anyone has a method, I'll put those three back in!

It's not as big an issue as the carriage scraping.

16-4-2016 06:25:46  #2

Re: SM8 carriage scraping - and a tab stop query

The tab buttons work, but the tab stops are broken/filled? Try soaking them in PBB Blaster or gasoline. PB Blaster will dissolve anything like it (If its oil, it will dissolve)

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

16-4-2016 07:35:04  #3

No - the springs are clean now. They are out of the tab stops, because they popped out when I was trying to clean gently and then I realised I had to take them out to clean the gunk out. I need a technique for getting them back into the stops. 

But the real problem is the carriage... 

16-4-2016 09:21:47  #4

Assuming its not the old SM washer thing, my guess is that it has to be the escapement - something is rubbing the turning gears.  The only other thing I can think of that would make this noise (like someone rattling a stick along park railings) is something dragging along the tab rack  - the slotted place where the tab stops go.
 The YT comment about the pawl sounds plausible (pawlsable?) - I should clean (degreaser / meths?) anything near the escapement with brushfulls of the stuff; something may then move out of the way just as it should.

One of my machines does this too (but can't remember which one at present) so shall be interested when a proper answer comes.  If still stuck for a solution, I shall find the offending machine and have a look at it - but that won't be until next weekend.  I have an SM8 somewhere, and shall look at these springs then too, if you have not succeeded in replacing them.

Sincerely,
beak.

16-4-2016 11:33:45  #5

I hate to be the pragmatic voice here, but who cares about the noise and the gunk? How much are you planning to sell the SM8 for? I can guarantee that whatever amount of time you'll invest in repairing these minor issues will not be returned in what the machine will sell for on eBay. Just sell it as is - there are plenty of SM8s out there, so it's not worth putting more of your time into something that the next owner will unlikely worry about. I'm sure that the typewriter is already in better nick than when you got it, and providing you're not advertising it to be a fully refurbished machine, there's no foul in selling it as is.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-4-2016 13:07:57  #6

OK - Here we go.  Let's start with the tab. stop springs.  If you cannot locate the missing ones, you might be able to make new ones by cutting down springs from retractable ball-point pens with a pair of wire cutters.  You need to feed the spring in from the side, compressing it as much as you can.  Then put a jewellers screwdriver between the last two coils and use that to finally compress it and lever it sideways into position.  That earwax-like substance is the original factory grease which has gone hard.  Now onto the grating noise, which is almost certainly the escapement.  The first thing that I would check is that there isn't anything holding the spacebar down a fraction - just enough to make the escapement catch.  If you can definitely eliminate this, then I would say that the silent return spring on the escapement wheel has either jumped off or jumped past the escapement loose dog so that it can no longer push it out of the way as the carriage is returned.  The best way to access this is to take the carriage off its rails, but this is not for the faint-hearted and I wouldn't try this at home folks !  You may be able to get enough access to see what is going on by bringing the carriage to the extreme end of its travel and viewing the escapement wheel with a powerful torch (flashlight).  Good luck with your repairs !

17-4-2016 04:16:43  #7

Uwe, you speak with the voice of reason. I got the thing for a fiver and it is in MUCH better shape than then, with the exception of these two things. I was hoping to sell it as refurbished for a bit of dough. But you're right: should I devote my life to it for what is, in fact, less than a decent day rate were I to apply myself to getting the work?

On the other hand, Tom, many thanks! I can't believe the factory put that **** in there, it was utterly disgusting - and so much OF it. I'll see if a couple of hours of leisurely attention can't make a diff, and I'll have a look at the space bar. I can tell you I certainly am not going to try taking off the carriage.  As it happens, my new phone has a powerful torch in it!

Board footera