You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-4-2016 17:48:49  #1

Olympia SM8 (or 9?) Ribbon Reversing Arm

Hi everyone,

I am having a dumb problem with my new (old) Olympia, which I think is an SM8. I want the ribbon to reverse direction on its own, but I can't seem to rig it up properly. I have placed the ribbon spools where they go and wrapped the ribbon around the ribbon reversing arm, as the instructions indicate. But when I type, the ribbon does not stay wrapped around the reversing arm--it slips off and and gets tangled up and it's a disaster. What am I doing wrong? If I could find an image of a properly set up ribbon I think I could figure it out, but the instruction manual's illustration isn't clear enough.

Thank you.

Rob

16-4-2016 18:19:46  #2

Re: Olympia SM8 (or 9?) Ribbon Reversing Arm

Not sure about the SM8, but the SM9, and most other machines with auto-reverse mechanisms, use a fork or two-pronged "arm" with a gap in the middle. The ribbon is threaded through the gap in both arms. There should be a rivet or grommet near both ends of the ribbon, that is too wide to fit through the gap in the forked arms. As you near the end of the ribbon, the grommet pulls the arm over and it reverses the direction of the ribbon takeup.

~Joe

16-4-2016 18:31:08  #3

The ribbon reversing arm on this machine is just one solid piece of metal, unlike what I'm used to with the Olivetti 32 I have. I may be looking at the wrong thing. Thank you for the response.

17-4-2016 14:00:36  #4

I suspect that your SM9 is a later model.  The earlier ones had the ribbon reverse fork that JoeV describes.  On the later models, this was revised to just a solid arm with no slot.  On both versions, the ribbon isn't supposed to have any eyelets - although the eyelets will not do any harm on the earlier version; they will simply give the ribbon reverse fork an extra pull.  The ribbon reverse is supposed to operate when the ribbon begins to go taut as it reaches the end.  If it is looping and jumping away from the ribbon reverse arm as you type, I wonder if there is a problem with one or both of the spring loaded ribbon tensioner arms.  These bear on the surface of the ribbon.  (You have to swing them out of the way before changing a ribbon spool)

17-4-2016 18:44:58  #5

Thank you for the response. You could well be right. I may have to take the thing in, though I don't really want to. It's a lovely machine, aside from this problem.

The reversal arms are at a diagonal angle that don't make sense, given the lack of a fork; in the instruction manual's diagram they're sticking straight up. I don't think it means anything, though. 

18-4-2016 03:43:10  #6

I wonder if someone has bent the ribbon reverse arms.  Is there any way you could post a photograph so that we can have a look ?

18-4-2016 03:45:40  #7

robertlongforeman wrote:

The reversal arms are at a diagonal angle that don't make sense, given the lack of a fork; in the instruction manual's diagram they're sticking straight up. I don't think it means anything, though. 

Seems to me that clearly does mean something; it's what diagrams are for, surely?

18-4-2016 07:18:14  #8

It's hard to get a great view of the reversing arms, but this is one of them. Maybe it's what it's supposed to look like, but it seems to me that it's positioned in a way that the ribbon is bound to slip off of it--unless I'm just not setting the ribbon right, which is a real possibility.

18-4-2016 12:34:03  #9

Yes !  Someone has bent the arms !  No wonder you were having problems. Support the bottom of the arm with a pair of pliers, and using a second pair, gently bend the arm so that it is back in the upright position.  Problem solved !

18-4-2016 13:25:28  #10

You were right! Thank you so much for the help. I did the pliers thing and it worked.

Why do people want to make my life harder by making things the wrong kind of bendy?

And so...

Last edited by Uwe (18-4-2016 14:05:01)

Board footera