You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-4-2016 03:12:25  #831

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I picked up a standard today.  It's turned out to be a bit of a project.  Many things need work...

It has a common feature but one that I hadn't seen implemented quite this way.  

I'll tease you with a couple of pics.  

And with them maybe (probably) one of you would be able to identify the machine. 

16-4-2016 04:20:13  #832

fingertapper wrote:

I picked up a standard today.  It's turned out to be a bit of a project.  Many things need work...
It has a common feature but one that I hadn't seen implemented quite this way.  
I'll tease you with a couple of pics.  
And with them maybe (probably) one of you would be able to identify the machine. 

The touch control, the side panel and the placement of the knob. It looks like a Royal KMM.

16-4-2016 05:45:57  #833

fingertapper wrote:

Thanks for fixing the picture, Repartee.  The IBM looks like a robot from a 60's science-fiction movie.  Very interesting!

"I am ready to do your bidding, master".

And if your bidding is to perform alphanumeric brain dumps, your model IBM model B is up to the task!

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

16-4-2016 05:51:57  #834

fingertapper wrote:

I picked up a standard today....

Ah, the fine texture of black crinkle paint. It says "late 1940's"!

Great photos and good cosmetics, so I hope the rest of your project works out...

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

16-4-2016 11:21:55  #835

fingertapper wrote:

...with them maybe (probably) one of you would be able to identify the machine. 

As Persiflage already pointed out, it's unmistakably a '40s Royal KMM (or MM) model.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-4-2016 16:22:25  #836

I knew you guys would take mere moments to nail the ID.  :-)

It is indeed a KMM.  I initially thought it was a KHM but the serial number confirmed it.  Late 1941 according to the database.

While I am still a noob, I remain impressed with micrometer-level of fine-tuning that Royal gave to this type adjustment (i.e. more than just a lever).

16-4-2016 22:21:18  #837

I prefer the knob to the lever Royal had on this model, just because of the *hypothetically* infinite levels of adjustment for the touch. Though I will admit it does take some time for turn it from 1 to 6...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

17-4-2016 10:28:36  #838

As I already posted, I bought another SP, its a #2. It came yesterday.. and in addition to brackets, it has TWO ACCENT KEYS! The two raised dot things, and it has the apostrophe type that goes over letters like e (In french at least). It was missing the slug, but luckily I had an apostrophe from my parts SP.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

18-4-2016 23:17:35  #839

A friend of mine who works in a charity shop told me that they had a "typewriter in really great condition for like $10," so I checked it out.

Turns out they were asking $25, and it's a Japanese Nakajima All, Model 550, missing its right platen knob and a little dirty inside. I bought it, partly out of guilt, but got a discount (so it ended up being under AU$20).

...it's not the prettiest typewriter I own.

In fact, I'd say it's the ugliest damned thing I've ever bought.

But it might come in handy for parts and tinkering experience, as I believe these machines were rebranded as Adlers among other things.

19-4-2016 02:16:34  #840

A decent find, I would think.  Being new to this arena, I'm not familiar with the brand.  But I do notice the repeating space bar and the red tab key.  Nice touches.

Board footera