You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-11-2013 18:45:37  #21

Re: Groma Kolibri Luxus

Notquite_there wrote:

That Arrow looks like the Royal Quiet Delux,  what is the difference between the two?   

I believe just features and perhaps the quality of the trim pieces. I have both but have never compared them to each other; something that I'll have to put on the "to-do" list.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-12-2013 17:24:48  #22

So many pretty typewriters! I'm gonna love it here!
And nice Olympia Traveller DeLuxe in green. My first working typewriter was a white Olympia Traveller DeLuxe. It writes great, but sometimes the ribbon-holder don't pop back down after a keystroke.

Qwerty is good

09-12-2013 13:51:50  #23

The ribbon holder won`t go down.
    Sounds like lubrication to me.  But if the ribbon setting is on red, but it holds a all black ribbon, the ribbon holder tends to stay up for the lower section of the red strip on the ribbon.  I haven`t used an Olympia so the case may be different.  

09-12-2013 17:16:36  #24

Once cleaning and lubrication are eliminated, the next most likely cause is a bent ribbon vibrator dragging on something - often the centre guide.  They can be awkward to bend back to the correct shape, even with a pair of flat nose pliers !

20-12-2013 02:38:17  #25

Back to the subject of this thread, I still haven't had any luck figuring out the manufacture year for my machine, and it doesn't help that its serial number doesn't seem to match any of the other Kolibri owner's numbers.

For reference, I'm posting a comparison photo between the older and newer generation Kolibri drawband drums. Not only did Groma fit a much larger drum on its later model Kolibri models, it also relocated the component. On the left is the drum from the older version (thanks to Valiant for the photo), and on the right the drum on my later model machine. (Correction: Based on photos that were posted later in this thread, it turns out that isn't the drum, but a pulley for the drum.)

And to help clarify any discussion involving the serial numbers of these machines, here's a photo showing the number on my machine. I would appreciate if other Kolibri owners could comment on whether or not this is where the serial number on their machine is located - and if it isn't, where is the number?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-12-2013 13:40:24  #26

I just found this forum, while looking for information about the Groma Kolibri I just got--I was hoping for some sort of a schematic diagram to find out how vigorously I can clean it. It's in perfect working condition however, except for matted detritus from years past, including nicotine stains. It appears to be one of the old model ones--the drawbar drum is very small and on the left. . Its serial number (i.e. the only number I can find anywhere in or on the machine) is right under the spacebar. But the number isn't in the database reported by the manufacturer.

It's a ridiculously elegant thing.  It has this nice, crisp typefont. The best part is that it fits in my backpack.

Thank you all for the information.

(p.s. oh, hello, I just got here. When boardhost lets me, I will post pictures.)

20-12-2013 15:14:55  #27

Hey, glad you made it here... I'm going to check under my spacebar now for a number.

So you don't have a number by the left ribbon spool as in my photo then? Very weird. Maybe when they updated the machines they also relocated the serial number. I assume though that the Groma badge is on the front and center of the ribbon (top) cover? You definitely have the older model of the two though.

As far as cleaning it is concerned, you might want to consider dunk cleaning it. I've posted instructions on how to do that here

20-12-2013 17:18:33  #28

I did read about the dunk method--that's only slightly less creepyfying than disassembling the machine and cleaning out the parts one by one. I've decided I'll just start obsessively brushing off the muck as much as I can and maybe I'll develop the cojones to dunk my (allegedly) portable Royal since that looks much more congested.

I'm posting pictures on my next post--boardhost rules require me to post twice first before being allowed to include links. Apparently, it's how I'm supposed to prove I am human.

20-12-2013 17:33:23  #29

Hello everyone.

My Groma Kolibri. It's slightly embarassing how much I like this machine.

It is extremely loud, it has to sit on a no-slip thingie that I also use on my Royal because, while it is quieter, that one walks while I am writing. But the Kolibri has a tighter typeface.

The serial number is on what I will ignorantly call the chassis. I looked under the spool and everywhere else I can see with a magnifying glass. The only visible numbers are these.

And finally, this is a shot of the enture underside, in case that helps in making comparisons between models.

I have not oiled it at all but will do so once I figure out what those parts are mentioned in the dunk cleaning guide. Thank you!

20-12-2013 21:34:37  #30

Great photos and a nice looking Kolibri. I wish mine was in such good condition - one day it will be...

I'm definitely going to compare your photos with my machine to see what other changes to its original design were made. One thing that I immediately noticed is that what I thought was the drawband drum on the older models isn't one at all; it's just a pulley for the drum. As you can see, it the second generation model they eliminated that pulley and moved the drum up so that the drawband could connect to the carriage in a straight line. 

I don't have a number stamp on my machine like yours, so it's safe to say that not only did the serial number location get changed, but so did the serial numbers. I'm assuming of course that Groma didn't differentiate in the way it numbered regular Kolibri machines versus the Luxus variants.

I did have had a breaktrough today on the serial number issue. I came across this sales receipt for a Luxus which proves two things: 1. That the number by the left ribbon spool is the serial number; and 2. My machine was made after 1962. This would also mean that your machine predates 1962. It's not a big revelation, but it helps to build the history of Groma serial numbers.

Board footera