You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-12-2013 17:45:22  #1

Erika model 10

Hello, my name is Karl and I'm new here.
Recently, I bought a pretty Erika typewriter. But I don't know much about it.
I know that it's probably a model 10 and that it's made in Germany.
It says DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik) on the back, but when I checked the serial number, two websites told me that it was made before DDR existed.

I'm eager to learn anything about this machine.
Here are some images of her... Also, I'm from Denmark, so the keyboard have an additional Æ, Ø and Å, to the right.

Last edited by Joelsen (11-12-2013 09:37:09)

Qwerty is good

06-12-2013 18:18:22  #2

Re: Erika model 10

I have a similar model (Model 12), the differences being that mine lacks a tabulator, the cover on each end of the carriage isn't chromed, and there isn't a chrome trim around the bottom of the ribbon cover. Most obvious, the Erika badge on mine is a newer version.

I see from your photos that the serial number on your machine is 1972960, which means it's a 1961 model. 

Last edited by Uwe (06-12-2013 18:27:38)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-12-2013 18:41:48  #3

That's neat! Do you like yours?
I took me a while to discover that it was a model 10. A famous Danish writer named Karen Blixen used the same machine and I stumbled upon a fan page of hers, instantly recognizing my Erika.
I'm happy to help, while seeking help at the same time.

That's the strange thing, how can my Erika be from the 1950's when DDR started around 1963?

Thanks for the post edit. I'm on my iPad now and I can't access flash online (which is required for posting pictures directly in a post) I did read the FAQ but I couldn't find the bar needed to post pictures directly, so I figured that it was the flash-thing that wasn't accessible on my iPad.

Qwerty is good

06-12-2013 19:24:42  #4

With respect to dates, the DDR (GDR) as far as I know was established in 1949, so it would make sense that your machine would have the DDR label. Maybe you're thinking of when the infamous "Wall" was built, which I believe was in 1961?

When I got my machine it was in really rough shape - it still needs some work - but after cleaning it and making a few adjustments, it's now a reliable typer. I don't mind this Erika and it types well enough, but it wouldn't make my all-time best portables list. Still, it's a worthy machine for any collector to check out.

Aesthetically, I think it also looks pretty good too, but your model looks even better because of its chrome trim. The design is typical of the '50s, and although it feels solid enough, it pales in comparison to a few of the other German typewriters of the era such as Olympia's SM3, or its East German counterpart, the Optima Elite 2.

Here are a few photos of my machine for comparison:

I just noticed other differences between the 10 and 12. My machine lacks a paper guide (you have a chromed one), and the paper rest on the two machines appear to be different in design.

Another difference, my model only says "Made in Germany":

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera