You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-4-2016 00:59:37  #1

Royal HH Line advance lever

The line advance lever on my Royal HH moves and advances the paper, but is slow on the return.  Is this something that some PB can take care of?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

20-4-2016 05:23:46  #2

Re: Royal HH Line advance lever

Yes, it sounds like grease in the mainspring. Actually, I would try some degreaser first.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

20-4-2016 08:19:15  #3

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Yes, it sounds like grease in the mainspring.

???  I think she's complaining about a sluggish line space lever, not the action of the drawband drum...

I always use Varsol (mineral spirits) to clean the pivots of a line space lever and it's always worked. If you don't want to disassemble it, just keep working the lever while working a cotton swab that is soaked in mineral spirits around all of its associated pivots and linkages; it will be moving freely soon enough.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-4-2016 08:40:19  #4

Oh, now I see Uwe. The return lever is slow to return.Id do what Uwe says, or I'm pretty sure all of those 40s and 50s royals have one screw with a nut on the bottom to take off the return lever.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

20-4-2016 08:54:35  #5

It is the line space lever.  Sorry for the confusion, Typewriter Guy.  One of the other issues about this typewriter is that the bell isn't very loud.  But I took off the back of the machine and it seems to just not be very loud.  There is nothing present to muffle the sound.  Oh well.

20-4-2016 10:05:51  #6

colrehogan wrote:

There is nothing present to muffle the sound. Oh well.

I just checked the bell on my HH, and it's fairly loud - well, it makes a nice sharp "ding". Quiet bells are sometimes/often caused by a sluggish hammer; given your line space lever is fouled up, it wouldn't surprise me that your bell hammer action is too. If you clean the hammer pivot and associated linkages that trip it to make sure that everything moves very freely, it might help to increase the bell's volume. The harder (faster) a hammer hits, the more sound it will produce.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-4-2016 13:09:50  #7

Uwe wrote:

colrehogan wrote:

There is nothing present to muffle the sound. Oh well.

I just checked the bell on my HH, and it's fairly loud - well, it makes a nice sharp "ding". Quiet bells are sometimes/often caused by a sluggish hammer; given your line space lever is fouled up, it wouldn't surprise me that your bell hammer action is too. If you clean the hammer pivot and associated linkages that trip it to make sure that everything moves very freely, it might help to increase the bell's volume. The harder (faster) a hammer hits, the more sound it will produce.

Seconded.  My KMM didn't ding at all.  And so I was worried that there was something more seriously wrong.  But a thorough cleaning of just the linkages and the right margin adjuster mechanism solved it.  I wouldn't say it's super loud, but there's a sharp ding now.

20-4-2016 19:02:26  #8

I will check this and see if I can't clean it a bit.  There is a metal panel on the inside behind the bell.  Is this removable?

21-4-2016 12:46:17  #9

The two side panels just pop off by pressing on them from the inside of the machine. The large back panel is held in place by a couple of screws. Removable, and makes it far easier to get at things for cleaning.

Board footera