You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-4-2016 20:31:11  #11

Re: New Member with Question About Royal Quiet De Luxe

I did notice that it went down some.  All I had around the house were some alcohol wipes so I used them on ribbon guide rails and added some gun oil.  I raised the guide up and down some but it still hangs up.  I try using it and see it that helps free things up.

Chad

21-4-2016 00:20:31  #12

I typed for a while before dinner and I don't know if it was much improved but maybe a little.  I'll keep working with it to see if it slides down like it should.  If I press on it it slides down easily do like was mentioned, it just might need to be worked.

Chad

21-4-2016 05:59:17  #13

What I'd be doing here is going in behind the vibrator with a Q tip and some form of solvent - I use white spirits but everything is called different things between the US and the UK... Really feel, with the Q tip, for what's happening beind the vibrator. The other thing you can do is, with shift lock on, angle the typewriter so you can get a view behind there with a flashlight. You might get a glimpse of what the obstruction is. I have a feeling that if the vibrator isn;t moving all the way down the problem is more likely to be caused by oil than to need, at this stage, more oil? But tbh more likely ink, or dust, or something got ever-so-slightly bent. 

21-4-2016 11:03:48  #14

Good suggestions thanks.

Chad

21-4-2016 13:17:12  #15

First off, put away the gun oil and alcohol wipes. Use mineral spirits and cotton swabs to thoroughly clean all of the linkages associated with the ribbon vibrator (you'll have to stand the machine on its back plate to do this). The vibrator should move freely - without any oil! Only after every component is perfectly clean can you add a hint of sewing machine oil to each linkage.

If cleaning doesn't help you'll need to check the ribbon transport system. If the ribbon isn't moving freely it will bind the vibrator and cause it to remain in the partially raised position. I've seen this happen often, including with the Quiet De Luxe models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-4-2016 13:27:53  #16

it looks like a trip to the hardware store is in order.

Chad

Board footera