You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-4-2016 02:37:31  #1

Silver-Reed 500 (SEIKO) Repair and technical question

Good Morning folks,

I've just last week picked up a Silver-Reed 500 typewriter for £15. I was able to fix most of it (a couple of the typebars were a little crooked and the mainspring needed replacing)

A few quick questions though:
      The TAB key seems to move the carriage forward without stopping - according to the only manual I could find (see below) should stop every 10th space; if the unit is equipped with a tabulator (will it still have a tab key if there is no tabulator?) - I'm almost certain the large number of latching metal blades at the back is the tabulator - in which case, is it perhaps not set up correctly?

The other question was about the T+/T- lever to the left of the keys; according to that manual it is the touch selector and can be set at any position between T+ and T- to adjust the stiffness of the keys - however in my typewriter it doesn't lock in any given position and always returns to the center, which makes me think my model may be different from the manual. In addition to that there is a "+ / -" setting lever under the cover; which looks to me like it might be the touch selector.

Many thanks in anticipation! If you need any pictures, just give me a shout!

EDIT: Can't post the link because I have less than two posts! Oh well! If you google "Silver Reed 500 Manual" - the first link is to a website that has a bunch of manuals. Silver-Seiko appear to have a manual that covers several models)

26-4-2016 09:10:48  #2

Re: Silver-Reed 500 (SEIKO) Repair and technical question

Where on earth did you find a replacement mainspring for a Silver-Reed?

Re: the tabulator.  I know I have a Silver-Reed 500 somewhere, but can't find it at the moment, but I could have sworn the tab stops were set by a lever on the left side of the keyboard. And no, the machine wouldn't have a TAB key if it didn't have a tabulator system. My assumption without looking for an online owner's manual would be that T+ and T- are actually for setting the tab stops (+ to add a tab stop, and - to remove/clear it), and it would explain why the lever reposes to the middle. A touch control lever should stay in the position you set it in. Are you positive about that lever's function on your machine?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-4-2016 09:55:50  #3

Uwe wrote:

Where on earth did you find a replacement mainspring for a Silver-Reed? 

Salvage from another silver reed I picked up on ebay for a tenner (badly damaged - front of it was crushed looking)

Uwe wrote:

Re: the tabulator.  I ---- function on your machine?

Nope! Not sure that's the function at all xD Not even slightly!

I couldn't find an exact manual for the Silver-Reed 500. It'd make sense if that was for setting the tab stops - especially given the other locking lever under the cover (which is marked + / - so I'm assuming that's actually the touch selector)

I'll have a play around with it when I get home from work in an hour or so and get back to you on that one! I'll be thoroughly embarrassed if it is the tab setting lever!

What would be the general mode of operation for such a lever - just a matter of using it to set/unset a tab when the carriage is stationary?

26-4-2016 10:29:06  #4

cprobertson1 wrote:

What would be the general mode of operation for such a lever - just a matter of using it to set/unset a tab when the carriage is stationary? 

Correct. Some typewriters have other tab setting options such as a master clear, but you don't typically see that on the budget models. And there's nothing to be embarrassed about: We were all new to typewriters at one point and had to figure these things out too, and this forum is about sharing information.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-4-2016 12:43:44  #5

AHA! I figured it out!

TWO problems - firstly the rod connecting the tab-setting lever to the tabulator switch-a-majig (technical term) had came off 

- but even more interesting is that the spring on it had came off and had caught on a neighbouring key! 

That's it working now though: what a nuisance that was to fix! 

Quick question - is silicone-based oil alright for lubing up the typebars? I also have WD-40, but I'm pretty sure that will form a residue over time (though as far as I know, any lubricant will eventually do the same). 

(Note, I've already given it a swabbing down with isopropyl alcohol and given it a good scrub)

Many thanks for your help btw! Much obliged  

26-4-2016 14:31:32  #6

NO WD-40 - ever - period!
NO oil in the segment at all. Tom (thetypewriterman) will cite exceptions, but it's best to stick to this rule.
Clean the segment with mineral spirits, as long as it takes for all the type bars to swing freely, and let the segment run dry. Keep in mind that there are plenty of other linkages between the type key and typebar, so make sure you clean all of them if you're having issues with a few that won't work after cleaning the segment.

Read the topic on Dunk Cleaning in the Resource sub-forum for tips on where oil should be used. I only use sewing machine oil, which is perfect for typewriters.

26-4-2016 15:10:52  #7

Coolio - sorry - didn't word that very well! Was trying to say I wouldn't use WD-40 because it'd stick over time.

The Silicone oil I have is almost the same stuff as sewing machine oil (only water soluble... in fact I think you can use it in sewing machines) - I use it for the fine linkages and valves in my airgun - which are some pretty finely made little parts!

Righty-ho; nothing in the segment! Got it! The linkages look ok - it was just because I washed down the segment with alcohol that I was wondering about reapplying lubricants.

See my problem is I'm an engineer and the automatic response after cleaning any sort of hinge is to re-lubricate it. Mind you, I build bits of oilrigs - which are a bit bigger than typewriters - and if one of those seize up you know all about it (the paperwork is horrendous!)

Will let you know how I get on, though I suspect I won't have problems! Thanks again for the help

Board footera