You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-12-2013 14:16:20  #1

Repainting old typewriter keys

I've been working on my Underwood SX-100, and I'm wondering if there is a simple way to repaint the characters into the keys.  This particular model has molded plastic keys with each character imprinted into them (less than 1 mm deep), then the impression filled with what I assume is white paint.  For most of them, the white paint is faded or completely gone.  The image below, while not my machine, is typical; note the E,S,R,C and T keys:  

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2449/3816837104_3aae067a1a_b.jpg

Since my machine is in pretty rough condition, I'm more interested in the practical aspect than the asthetic...but it would be nice to have it done.  Any thoughts out there?

10-12-2013 14:45:50  #2

Re: Repainting old typewriter keys

Good question, and one that I've been contemplating for some time as I have many keyboards that are in need of a facelift. 

My thought was to use a template of some kind and engrave the letter into the key and then fill the shallow engraving with paint. I am concerned with aesthetics, so it will have to be perfect, which is one reason I haven't attempted it yet. Another is that it wouldn't be how it was done originally.

I'm no plastics expert, but when I look at the keys on the vast majority of keyboards, the letter seem to be molded into the key somehow as opposed to being painted on. I guess the more sensible thing to do would be to research this further and find out exactly what process was used, and if that can't be replicated - which is very possible - then go to my original idea as a plan B.

I plan to mold some plastic keys anyway to replace ones that are missing on a few machines, so most likely I would experiment with those first before destroying an original key.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-12-2013 08:45:41  #3

The only similar work I have done is to colour engraving with 'engraver's' wax.  This product is rubbed into the engraving and the excess removed with a cloth.  I don't know if it would withstand the wear and tear of typing, but I shall experiment in a week or two when I return home.  Might be worth researching this product meanwhile.

Sincerely,
beak.

11-12-2013 12:58:56  #4

I looked into the wax thing and found an interesting video that showed a guy using Crayons to fill the engravings on the slide of his handgun. His technique involved heating the slide first with a heat gun, which would be a really bad idea with respect to plastic typewriter keys. I couldn't find much on engraving wax though. What is it used for?

A common solution for restoring computer keyboards (other than replacing the keys) is to use vinyl stickers. There are companies that specilize in this product, but it's not one that I'm willing to use. Stickers on top of the keys might be okay for a computer keyboard, but there's no way I'd be satisfied with that look on an otherwise pristine vintage typewriter.

I then wasted a lot of time on the net trying to get to the bottom of how plastic typewriter keys were manufactured in the first place - and got no where. My reasoning is that the best solution to restoring them would be to duplicate the original manufacturing process. Clearly this isn't a subject that many typewriter collectors have explored, so hopefully we'll be able to figure this out and provide others with a viable solution.

Looking over the plastic keyboards in my collection it seems that the plastic keys on machines dating up to the '50s were engraved and then paint filled (I'm not 100 percent sure of this). Those keys would be a straightforward repair to me (see my previous post in this thread). However, at some point the manufacturing process changed and the keys on newer machines from the late '50s onward are definitely not engraved, and I have no idea how the lettering on them was done originally. Maybe the paint was just applied to the top of the key? But if that was the case it must have been a very thin layer of paint as I can't feel a discernible ridge when I slide a finger over the letter.

Thankfully, most of the keyboards on my machines are in good condition, but the few that have faded or missing letters are a distraction. It would then be nice to figure out a simple, yet effective, method for restoring plastic keys.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-12-2013 13:10:05  #5

After beak's comment on engraver's wax, I looked around also and found references to filler sticks used to fill scratches/dings in wood cabinets & furniture:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=20069&cat=1,190,42997

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057IV5PY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2B8E0N32T8TW9

Both of these products seem to come in white, which would work with my black keys.  However, I'm concerned as to how long they would actually stay on the keys.  

I'm thinking I will try one of my children's white wax crayons first--maybe I can heat the crayon slightly before application, rather than the key?  Or put the whole machine in the oven at 200 degrees F (as I did before to dry it out), then apply the crayon?  If I have any success with this, then I might be tempted to spend the $$ for one of these products.

Hmmm....

29-1-2017 12:50:50  #6

The keys on my '47 Underwood are engraved. Once I scraped the dirt out (they were very brown and disgusting) I used some white acrylic paint and a very skinny brush. Since I'm terrible at painting, some paint got outside of the engraving and I wiped it away with a damp cloth. Now the keys are blinding white and it looks great. 

29-1-2017 14:53:33  #7

I just used a light peach coloured and a white wax crayon and my keys came come out perfect with a vintage look. A coating of carnauba wax over the top offers protection.  The white on its own looked almost blue, so the peach and white worked well.  Its surprisingly easy to apply, just rub it over and massage in with heat of finger.  Yellow wouldn't work, it sounds right, but it doesn't work.  Peach is just the right shade.

08-2-2017 02:52:39  #8

Older plastic typewriter key tops were injection molded and any that appear to have the characters set in relief below the surface have been cast that way.
The character would then be paint filled and wiped clean (probably by hand at first and later by stencil) of any excess paint.
Later and lesser quality key tops appear to have the character screened or stenciled on or possibly stamped with an etching ink to provide a longer lasting impress.
Certain shapes and forms of plastic key tops would be fairly easy to reproduce by a machining method, and would give a good facsimile of the original if they were all replaced with the new ones.
The hardest part would be replicating the color and feel of the original. As Uwe points out, having something as close to the original as possible is very important to the user of the machine.
If all the new keys have a comforting tactile presence to them then the user is happy. If not, then the user will not be happy no matter how good they look.
It can be done but, it will take some determination and the right skills to create results you will be satisfied with.  

Board footera