You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-5-2016 16:24:29  #1

Need help dating Underwood Champion

I found this typewriter on eBay. It's in great shape, has a nice case and includes original instructions. It only needed a new ribbon. It's become a favorite, and I would like to know more about it. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Repaired incorrect photo linked and moved thread to Portables sub-forum. (Uwe)

Last edited by Uwe (09-5-2016 09:29:08)

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

07-5-2016 16:41:31  #2

Re: Need help dating Underwood Champion

The serial number should be located near the left ribbon spool. You can reference a list of manufactured dates and serials here (for Champion, scroll towards the bottom) :
http://typewriterdatabase.com/underwood.4.typewriter-serial-number-database

08-5-2016 22:09:52  #3

The title of this thread reads, "Need help dating an Underwood Champion."  All I can tell you is :  1.  Be yourself;  2.  Make it a lunch on the first date;  3.  When you get up to dinner and a movie, make sure she's in by 10:00 PM.  Good luck! 

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

08-5-2016 22:21:54  #4

TypewriterKing wrote:

The title of this thread reads, "Need help dating an Underwood Champion." All I can tell you is : 1. Be yourself; 2. Make it a lunch on the first date; 3. When you get up to dinner and a movie, make sure she's in by 10:00 PM. Good luck!

I had the same thought, but you got there first!  Then I guess "carbon dating" would be when you dropped her and went out with the carbon paper?

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

08-5-2016 23:15:40  #5

Now I know I have a partner in crime when it comes to these jokes.  Thanks for the laugh, man!! 

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

09-5-2016 09:37:19  #6

Nice way to welcome a new member to our forum, boys...

typeset, following SoucekFan's instructions will give you the year of manufacture. I'm betting it was made in '46 or '47. It's a nice Champion, congratulations!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera