You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-5-2016 09:16:06  #1

Torpedo Main Spring Screw

An ongoing project. The screw on the main spring snapped. Do you know the name of the screw? The local hardware stores do not carry this. I will need to drive further.

Last edited by Uwe (13-5-2016 14:00:31)

13-5-2016 14:06:31  #2

Re: Torpedo Main Spring Screw

Technically, it's not a screw, it's a bolt. And such an odd break! Were you tightening the nut at the time?

The closest replacement that I can think of would be an elevator bolt, but you'll probably have better luck finding a carriage or shoulder bolt that size and then modifying it a little to fit.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-5-2016 18:37:53  #3

Uwe wrote:

Technically, it's not a screw, it's a bolt. And such an odd break! Were you tightening the nut at the time?

The closest replacement that I can think of would be an elevator bolt, but you'll probably have better luck finding a carriage or shoulder bolt that size and then modifying it a little to fit.

Yes, you are right. I'm careful about loosening and tightening these old things. I really didn't turn it that hard. AND if I can help it, I don't like removing the main spring but I couldn't insert the new line. The old line was jammed. I'm hesitant to tie a new line to an old line. That doesn't sit well with me. I had to take it apart to fish it out.  This machine was a mess when I bought it including the snapped carriage draw band.  I thought perhaps, I could "sound" intelligent enough when calling around. I didn't want to sound like a unknowing female with hardware. HA! Although, the guys at home depot and lowe's are not much of a help ...  they were clueless as well. 

13-5-2016 19:05:36  #4

I don't know which tool you used to tighten the nut, but it's very easy to apply far more torque than you realize if you have a lot of leverage as you would with some tools. Anyway, what's done is done, and you're right to replace the entire drawband instead of cobbling together some half-measure solution. 

I don't know where you live, but since you mentioned Lowes and Home Depot I'm guessing that you're either in the U.S. or Canada. Most major cities have specialty fasteners suppliers such as Fastenal, so if you live reasonably close to one I would just take the broken bolt to the store and see what they can match it with. Given you have a German machine the original bolt will be metric, but don't get hung up on that as it'll be easier for you to find an Imperial bolt that should work well enough. Of course you'll have to get a new nut for it as well. Happy hunting and good luck!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera