You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-5-2016 11:29:31  #461

Re: New Member Thread

Welcome, Ben! Just out of curiosity, are you fairly young (it's a relative question given I consider myself to be moderately old)?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-5-2016 19:12:16  #462

Greetings ztyper, I am from south jersey! still trying to navigate here. 

Smiling is universal.

15-5-2016 11:51:01  #463

Hello! I've been a passive collector for a couple years now. Once I hit a point where I was telling people, "I have over 20 type writers but don't know the exact number" I figured I ought to start learning a bit more about them and proper maintenance. I'll snag about anything I can if it's not electric.

15-5-2016 13:31:58  #464

Welcome James!

Welcome Ben!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

16-5-2016 13:31:37  #465

Hi everyone!

I thought it might be a good idea to register here in order to be able to ask you some questions.

I have no knowledge about or experience with typewriters - but I came to the conclusion, that i need a typewriter. Why? To write a letter to a specific person who i admire a lot.

My first intent was to ask you which kind of portable typewriter you could recommend to me. I think I would care most about a proper looking type face on the paper. And of course I wouldnt mind if the typewriter would have some aesthetical character as well. ;)

Long story short: I already found one model that i really fancy. It's the Olymia Deluxe SM3.

I could get it for 30 Euros. Do you think it is a good deal?
The person selling it told me that he didnt use it for like 20 to 30 years.

Any guidance would be heavily appreciated.

Regards from Vienna!

16-5-2016 14:53:04  #466

Welcome to the forum! 

Yes, it's a great typewriter and you got it for a good price. If you have specific questions about your Olympia please create a new topic in the Portables sub-forum and we'll be more than happy to help you out.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-5-2016 14:59:46  #467

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!

I will get it tomorrow and will see if everything works or if i need help with getting it repaired or how to clean in.

16-5-2016 23:11:52  #468

Welcome, Victor!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

17-5-2016 17:00:04  #469

Hi. John here.
Bought my first and only typewriter from a junk shop almost ten years ago - an old Hermes 2000. Only cost £5. It didn't have its case and was jammed up with dust and dirt - still looked beautiful to me though. Much to my shame, I've only recently decided to have a go at cleaning it up and getting it working - it's starting to scrub up well.

I've got another project on its way to me soon too. In Olympia (I think SM3). This one looks a mess too -- covered in mould -- but I'm hopeful a good clean may be all it needs. Will be looking to you guys for guidance along the way! Cheers

17-5-2016 18:00:27  #470

Hello and welcome John!
Those are two very good machines you have there, and both well worth restoring.
The thing will be to take your time - patience is all.  Maybe take some photos so that later on you can show us the 'befores' and the 'afters'.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera