You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-5-2016 08:00:35  #11

Re: No, no; most of them must go!

I feel you -- I've been thinking lately that I have too many typewriters to usefully use, and then this machine I gave away 2 years ago came back to me! Gah!  If anyone lives in Maine and wants a typewriter . . . .

18-5-2016 10:59:47  #12

How did it come back to you?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

18-5-2016 13:25:32  #13

The person gave it back. Didn't want it anymore. Can you believe that?

18-5-2016 15:06:15  #14

JanetLand wrote:

The person gave it back. Didn't want it anymore. Can you believe that?

I suppose it depends on the typewriter. If someone game me a '60s Smith-Corona Corsair, I'd be sorely tempted to give it back too. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-5-2016 15:09:53  #15

beak wrote:

Let's face it, five machines would still be excessive in most (normal) people's eyes!

Two machines would probably have been excessive in most people's eyes where there was a viable industry. If the one needed service I imagine you could (1) have a tech come to you (2) have it picked up and taken to the shop and have them leave you a loaner. OK, maybe you don't like loaners, so you keep two...

Now sir, I have been an annoying typewriter tyro for all of six months hoping to graduate to journeyman, and already I have had your thought twice. I wonder how long you have been at it and how often you have had this recurring nightmare?  I think I might be able to part with the custard yellow Sears branded bloated electric plastic bodied portable with the alignment problem. So it's not as if I am a fanatic, you know.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

18-5-2016 16:25:48  #16

No matter how hard I try, I just can't say no to a typewriter! If it's priced right, I'll walk home with it. I bought an SC enterprise once because I felt bad for it. When I see a typewriter just sitting there, I can't help but imagine it's injured and calling for help. Which isn't too hard considering a lot of them usually are. My heart's too big, and my wallet's to shallow, so I just end up emptying my clip of money on a typewriter that I really don't need nor want because I take pity on it...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

18-5-2016 16:42:12  #17

ztyper wrote:

No matter how hard I try, I just can't say no to a typewriter! If it's priced right, I'll walk home with it. I bought an SC enterprise once because I felt bad for it. When I see a typewriter just sitting there, I can't help but imagine it's injured and calling for help. Which isn't too hard considering a lot of them usually are. My heart's too big, and my wallet's to shallow, so I just end up emptying my clip of money on a typewriter that I really don't need nor want because I take pity on it...

Man, o, man, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

18-5-2016 16:53:42  #18

That ztyper's a funny kid. I know the feeling too!

I made a list of the machines I would feel I HAD to keep. It's 20 machines. I feel maybe I should just sell all the others and have those 20.

It would mean selling the SG1 though, in favour of the SG3.

18-5-2016 19:02:51  #19

KatLondon wrote:

It would mean selling the SG1 though, in favour of the SG3.

Don't own an SG3 but do own an older battleship looking Adler Universal and a 1970's version which looks very much like the SG3. In that parallel case I would have to agree: I would keep the later one. Aside from looking like a battle tank of Ming the Merciless the older Adler accomplishes less with more weight, and damn broke itself in shipment as a corollary.

This means I have to find an SG-3 also. Oh drat you KatLondon, drat you!

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

19-5-2016 05:37:12  #20

They are ineffably lovely. Mine's a really late one, 1978, and it just screams that clean 70s aesthetic at me - though I know the original concept was 60s. Mine has the red round logo. And although it's rusted throughout it works like a dream, except for the feed roller, which I DO have to send back to the Typewriterman! I'll do that this week, Tom.

Board footera