You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-3-2016 18:10:03  #31

Re: Typewriters in the Movies

I did take a look at the first ones just now.  Funny, I thought I had seen an Underwood SX-100 on the right hand side in the preview.  The one used by the lady in the blue dress on the left I am not sure.  But the one behind her in the checkered blue and white dress looks to be using a Remington painted a smooth silveer--not unlike two I had seen that were made under license in France.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

02-4-2016 19:13:42  #32

I don't know about anyone else, but it looks like they stole the medallion off the front of an old taxicab and stuck it on the front of a '56 Underwood.  

03-4-2016 18:01:33  #33

TypewriterKing wrote:

I don't know about anyone else, but it looks like they stole the medallion off the front of an old taxicab and stuck it on the front of a '56 Underwood.  

They did do a beautiful job in restoring the outside of it, though.  I have a typewriter that looks almost just like that a friend gave me several years ago.  His son and I went to school together (he's a friend also, as is his mother).  He died a year or so ago, and I keep it in his memory.  I always loved using that typewriter every since I was 13.

05-4-2016 04:16:39  #34

I went to see the new Coen Brothers movie the other week, 'Hail, Caesar!' - well, it's new here. It might have been out for a while in the US. It's now my new favourite movie, I LOVED it - all except for the one detail. There doesn't seem to be even a single typewriter in it at all. Not one! In a 1950s movie studio! Not even in the house where all the screenwriters are. All these opportunities - wasted I tell you! Yah booo.

On another note, if any of you can get the DVD of '
Populaire' I really recommend it. (Do they really not even MAKE A Region 1 one??) The extras are brilliant. They talk specifically about getting hold of all the typewriters, and there's a funny interview with the lead actress, about being taught touch typing for the film - bless her, because you'd never win a competition with technique like hers. She does EXACTLY what Lenore Fenton says NOT to do, in the 1944 US Navy video.

21-5-2016 22:15:17  #35

The Underwood they used in "Populaire," was like many typewriters I'd seen in movies and television programs of the 1950s.  One such typewriter was the one in the movie "Godzilla."  Raymond Burr played an investigative reporter visiting a friend in Japan, where a prehistoric monster was resurrected by Atomic bombs (wasn't everything then?).  Anyway, Raymond Burr was at the front of this machine, which by the way, had tape over the "Underwood" label on the back cover (which for some reason gets lost alot on these machines).  And, I know this is a very old thread, but I have a question.  But before I ask it, I will observe that toward the end of this vignette, Raymond Burr was supposed to be typing, but from the sound the typewriter was making, he was only using the space bar.  And now the question:  In these movies,  how many of the "typists" are actually typing something?  Have you ever wondered when you hear the clacking of keys, whether or not (when you can't see what they're typing) they were typing something, and if so, what?  Some movies that do a closeup of what's being printed you can see, but when you can see the back of the typewriter, the typist, nothing else, and you hear typing, what is this dude (or dudette) putting on the page?

21-5-2016 22:34:13  #36

They could've used foley sound for the typewriter. In my typewriter videos I try to actually type something legible when I'm seen typing on camera, but sometimes it ends up garbled, as I'm concentrating more on my dialog and camera work than typing.

~Joe

22-5-2016 03:32:32  #37

The actresses in Populaire had typing lessons - I have the DVD and there's an interview with the lead, and she talks a lot about how they had to undertake formal training as part of the preparation. But if you look in the competition scenes, her finger form is not good! So they ARE typing, but if there's a close-u of the page it will be one that was done separately, and the sound effects are obviously just that; no one was even possibly typing as fast as it sounds like, after two weeks of lessons! Even if they pretended they would just have jammed the keys.

22-5-2016 09:32:28  #38

TypewriterKing wrote:

... toward the end of this vignette, Raymond Burr was supposed to be typing, but from the sound the typewriter was making, he was only using the space bar...

If you take another look at the second typewriter-centric music video you may notice the typewriter sounds more like a cash register: the bell rings at the end of the carriage return. Kaching.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

22-5-2016 16:01:50  #39

Sorry to be thick, but I just went over this whole thread, and - what music video?

22-5-2016 18:03:11  #40

KatLondon wrote:

Sorry to be thick, but I just went over this whole thread, and - what music video?

To be absolutely pedantic about it I decided that a music video is not a movie and that my important finds must have their very own thread!  

The Typewriter in Music Videos 

It was a very short thread.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera