You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-4-2016 17:06:30  #1

Royal 10 Questions

Hi all,

So, I recently started living the dream and acquired a Royal 10.  It was dusty and cruddy and dirty, but works.  I think it will be a nice machine when I'm finished prepping it.  BUT, there are a couple of things that I'm not sure about and would appreciate input from other people who own one of these.

The first is the carriage - when I bought it the carriage (sort of) advanced, but was VERY wobbly, like a scale using the escapement as the apex.  After some cleaning and poking around inside, I found some metal tabs that I tightened that shored up the carriage, but prevented it from advancing properly for the beginning and ends of the page.  OK, so after some more adjustments and cleaning I got the carriage working properly, but it still wobbles a bit.  It seems to be that the whole top part of the machine is able to rock back and forth, MAYBE a couple of degrees at the maximum.  Nowhere near as bad as before, but nevertheless I'm thinking that it really shouldn't be doing this.  Any ideas what might be causing this?  It's a carriage-shifted machine, also.

The second (and possibly related) issue is that the capital letters don't line up with their lowercase counterparts.  I see where the tabs that regulate the carriage shift are, but none seem to be able to be adjusted.  The ones below the feed rollers look like they should be adjustable, but on my machine they appear stuck and I don't want to push my luck without knowing for sure whether those are actually meant to be turned or not.  They have steadfastly resisted all efforts thus far.

Finally, does anyone know if there's a place online (short of a whole other parts machine) to get some of those removable metal tab stops?  Mine came without any, and it would be nice to have a couple.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice!
Matt

21-4-2016 20:45:08  #2

Re: Royal 10 Questions

I love Royal 10's - their design says early twentieth century typewriter, they are durable and last a long time, and at least until recently they were inexpensive, though compared with six months ago I get the feeling significantly more people are bidding on what becomes available.

Regarding the wobbly carriage - I own a 100 year old example which has a very wobbly carriage, but somehow it continues to type straight and level. This is definitely not related to the upper case/lower case misalignment. Could be somebody has been messing with the stop adjustment, could be some obstruction to carriage movement. In my limited experience I've already seen several examples where it is both, so I guess a common scenario is (1) notice alignment problem (2) acquire tyro knowledge about stops (3) attempt to adjust said stops, not realizing that something else entirely is blocking the range of carriage motion.

My tastes have turned to more recent machines because after you get over "Look ma, it types, it types!" and you might want to type something longer than Hello World you will have second thoughts about pounding a near antique for that long, even if your stamina holds up.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

22-4-2016 04:20:55  #3

It wouldn't be too difficult to make some tab stops yourself if you are handy with a hacksaw and a file.  I even saw some once that a customer had made by sawing up a coin which happened to be the right thickness to go into the slots.  Not pretty, but it did the job !

22-4-2016 06:03:59  #4

Sounds like the carriage L pieces are out of alignment. Try loosening the screws on them (Behind, lower part of the carriage), and slide them up until the are almost touching the carriage rail. You'll know what I mean when you do it.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

22-4-2016 15:48:48  #5

Thanks for the input everyone!

Repartee, it's nice to know that it will still function alright without the carriage being rigid - nothing to do but keep poking away at it right?  I've got a couple of Olympias for heavy-duty writing, so it's ok if the Royal is more of a weekend toy, so to speak.

thetypewriterman, that's an interesting idea about making tab stops out of coins - I have no problem cooking something up, but I wanted to see what results the easy way yielded first.

TypewriterGuy, I will definitely revisit the carriage L pieces and double-check to make sure they're aligned properly.  I have it much better now than when I first started, but it's definitely a balancing act - when I had them too tight last time the mainspring was unable to overcome the friction between the L pieces and the carriage rail.  Lots more cleaning and adjusting - that's half the fun after all!  

Hopefully by the end of the weekend it'll be good to go.

23-5-2016 15:28:38  #6

I know I'm a little late to my own party here, but my Royal now functions perfectly, except for the slight misalignment between upper and lower case - but I'm not bothered by this.  It's been given a new ribbon, new feet, and nice wash and wax, and now she's ready for her next 100 years!

I'm really liking this one, now that I've gotten to know it better - it somehow just feels more personal writing on a machine of this vintage, even as far as typewriters go.

23-5-2016 23:27:17  #7

Nice looking machine!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera