You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-5-2016 15:10:18  #11

Re: Where Do You Prefer To Write?

Normally I like to write at my desk, but in the nice weather writing outside is a great alternative.  It depends on where the machine I want to use is located!

As for background noises, it depends on what I'm writing.  Normally a bit of conversation or music is alright, but when I really want to knuckle down I prefer complete silence.

The time of day doesn't really matter; if I'm free and the machine is ready, it's time to write!

24-5-2016 07:22:12  #12

I love hearing that others have that itch to type.  I get these powerful pulls to sit and write, typing, and really need to take the time and do it.  Most of my writing is done in my bedroom, at a little writing desk tucked into the corner, on a rounded green Hermes 3000.  I have a picnic table in the front yard, and will haul everything out there if the weather is nice.  I also keep another similar Hermes out in a little travel trailer, parked a few miles out of town, and will spend time there writing, as well.  Music would be Pandora, with a Nora Jones station, or something like it.

24-5-2016 09:08:41  #13

I know that I already answered earlier in the thread, but agree with Ampelmann on the location.  Regarding the music, it depends on what kind of writing I am doing.  I find that some 80's music can help (again - this depends on the writing.  The time of day is generally in the evening as I work all day.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

24-5-2016 10:24:44  #14

Gary wrote:

I also keep another similar Hermes out in a little travel trailer, parked a few miles out of town, and will spend time there writing, as well.  Music would be Pandora, with a Nora Jones station, or something like it.

Travel trailer and Nora Jones = Perfect! Although I don't prefer vocals when writing. Nora Jones might be an exception. Her music is dreamy. 

24-5-2016 12:12:17  #15

I prefer a-Ha for writing.  I am not familiar with Nora Jones.

24-5-2016 12:40:10  #16

colrehogan wrote:

I prefer a-Ha for writing.  I am not familiar with Nora Jones.

Gosh, I use to listen to a-ha. It's been awhile

One Norah Jones for your ears ... Take a listen to her other ones. Lovely in all kinda of ways!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbjZPFBD6JU

24-5-2016 22:35:53  #17

Nice! Thanks.

25-5-2016 16:39:30  #18

One of the nicest spots I know of and like to type there is over in Lampasas, Texas, by Lampasas Creek.  There is a park there with a walkway bridge and several picnic tables all overlooking the creek, which, more often than not, has a flock of ducks swimming up and down.  I like to go over there with my girlfriend when it's kind of misty, bring out my trusty '49 Royal Arrow portable ("Daddy Sam,"--it was her father's typewriter.  He used to use it when he ran a car dealership in Archer City, Texas.  I named it after him), and type love letters to the tune of Tony Bennett's "The Second Time Around."

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

25-5-2016 17:43:22  #19

1) For my portables, I would write on a table or on my lap. (I don't use a standard yet as I have been putting off doing up my Royal KMM)
2) Nothing but silence, except the clickety-clacking of the typewriter.
3) I normally sit down and write when I'm winding down in the evening.

28-5-2016 09:57:34  #20

1) I have no specific preferences at home, it depends on the moment. Most of times I stay at the basement because that´s where I keep most of the typewriters, but frequently I take them somwhere else. And when I´m outside there is a very special place: la Fuente el Sol (the Sun Fountain).

2) I use music as a wall to isolate myself when writing, and as inspiration as well. I rarely write in silence.

3) Late evening, no doubt about it.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

Board footera