You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-5-2016 16:32:56  #11

Re: LC Smith typebars gummed up after cleaning

Never mind, I took one apart to find out. I'm really glad that this system isn't the norm as it seems like complete overkill to me, not to mention that to work well they have to be kept quite clean. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-5-2016 16:56:37  #12

Re: LC Smith typebars gummed up after cleaning

Boy, you're not kidding!!  And on top of that, you mess with any of the bolts underneath, you've gotten several type bars out of whack with the rest of them, and you'll have hours of fun trying to get those suckers back in line.  I'm always a-preachin' about good ol' tranny fluid.  That stuff will dissolve the gunk in the bearings, and leave em' runnin' free.  My guess that the reason this setup is so fundamentally different from what you'll encounter from other typewriters and the more modern 88 series Smith-Coronas is that L. C. smith was the first one to come out with the basket-type shift.  The first ones especially, like the one in my 1913 model, the basket went up for the capitals instead of down (that came later).  There is only one set of adjuster nuts below the type bars so you don't have to worry about getting the right adjusted exactly as the left.  I've had my share of sticky type bars on these critters and one thing I know--tranny fluid works out the gunk real good.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera